Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Well after parking under oak trees for a week we were faced with the problem of how to clean all the debris from the top of the sliders. I ended up having to put my daughter on my shoulders with broom in hand to sweep off the tops, There has got to be a better way!! How do you guys handle this job??

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it helps but it is pricey. I think I came to the same conclusion as you in that I need some sort of folding ladder and a extendable broom. Going to check Lowes and walmart first to see whats out there. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I never had to clean it off like that!

In a pinch, I guess I'd be dragging sometime over there to stand on...like the picnic table. I have a VERSALADDER that folds up, but it's still larger than I would want to cart around with me. I use it to clean the roof because it folds into an A-frame, and it still reaches the roof.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey Kirk, let us know if you find anything.

I have been considering a ladder for this exact reason for a while and the only option I have found is this Camping World ladder and I am simply not going to pay that much. Like the JollyMon said, I will drag a table over for that price.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I usually take a towel draped over the end of a broom and wipe it off the best I can from the ground. When I get home I climb on the ladder and give it a better sweeping off. I'm not too concerned about a few leaves or water because the seal keeps them out of the trailer, what I do try to get off is the sticks or twigs that could tear the seal.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
I believe I have seen an inexpensive slide topper that you place on the slide when you open it. When it's time to pack-up you pull it off the slide along with any debris that is up there. This is the way I'll go for starters

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
What we need is a single row brush about 12" wide with an exandable shaft that has a 90 degree elbow to sweep the top off while standing on the ground.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Oh yeah! y-guy's got the right idea.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
My brother-in-law e-mailed me an idea - he said there are after-market awnings that roll out automatically when you extend the slider. The awning keeps bugs and junk out of the top. He just bought a 5th wheel and the dealer installed one as part of the deal... Sounded good to me. He said he's seen them in RV accessory catalogs - about $250.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys I haven't come up with any workable ideas yet. I do like Y-Guys idea about the broom. Also like the idea about the awning
but I would need two and I don't know how to fit one to the back? Still looking at light weight ladders. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Ok I think I've got the right broom for the job.

From Grainger, though I know Lowes/HD would sell them too. Now the issue is a handle

The other thing that might work is one of those flexible dusters that you can bend, but if its wet at all you could end up with a real mess. I'm not sure how I feel about pulling out a pink duster at a CG either shy

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Yea Y-guy I have to agree with you, I also thought of the feather duster but pulling out a yellow and pink feather to wipe down the top just doesn't seem right
. Maybe we can adapt some sort or brush to the handle? Kirk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't know what they are called but it is a long handled with a black round soft bristle (bristles are about 3" long) used for spider webs. I wonder how well something like that would work. If remembering correctly it would be easy stow. I searched online and not knowing what to actually call it I couldn't find it. Maybe someone knows what it is called?
Maybe even has one and could try it out for us

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well folks it looks like I may have found something that may work
. Go to this web site> www.colkercompany.com/ext_poles.html < and you can follow along.

1) unger uni-tec pole( 6' extended & 40" retracted) x2 = 28.00
2) ettore screw in angle adaptor x2 = 8.00
3) soft brissle brush x1 = 10.00
total = 46.00

I don't know if you will need the second angle adapter but for 4.00 dollars it may be worth picking up. Let me know what you think,
Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
That adapter is the key piece to the puzzle. I was going to go by a janitorial supply house one the way back from Rotary but I spaced it. Good hunting Kirk!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts