Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt I should let everyone know this one, as I thought "It can never happen to me". We took delivery of our 26RS today. During the PDI, the dealer rep demonstrated the stove lighting proceedure, as well as all of the other appliances. We finished everything else, and left the dealership, feeling quite good about ourselves, having just purchased a new Outback.

After backing into our driveway, 85 miles and 2 hours later, I got out of the truck, and heard the unmistakable steady beep of the propane detector coming from inside the trailer.

The first thing I did was remove the tank cover, with difficultly (have the keystone design engineers ever actually tried to get that thing quickly?) and secured both tanks. I then unlocked and opened the door to the coach, and smelled the unmistakable odor of methyl mercaptan (the odorant used in propane and natural gas).
After opening some windows to ventilate with fresh air, I did some investigating, and found one of the burner knobs on the cooktop open to the the "Light" position.

I then secured that, and continued to allow the trailer to ventilate for quite some time.

As a professional firefighter, I am fully aware of the disaster that could have been. I know that we all check these things before we close up, and pull out, but I can't say it too many times. Check to make sure ALL appliances are in the condition you want to tow them in. I can only imagine what may have happened had an ignition sourse been present, like perhaps the refridgerator running in AUTO mode.

Lets be careful out there, and make sure that we all come back from our camping weekends with all of the fingers and toes that we left with, and the same camper too!

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Glad you are ok! Even people who think SAFETY all day long can have mishaps.
We are all human. Thanks for the post.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Tim, Thank God you are all okay! Good advice too. Remembering to turn off the propane is one of those things I try to always remember to do before I pull out, your story will only reinforce that.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Thanks to both of you.

I think I figured how it happened. When the dealer demo guy was showing me the stove,and the built in ignitor, he lighted the center burner, and then made as if he was going to light the left rear burner, but didn't. I can only assume that he didn't turn the knob all the way off.

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts