Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie still learning . . . and amazed at all the choices for clubs, plans, etc.

I've joined Good Sam, just learned about Passport America, and I'm sure there are lots more.

I'd like opinions about Passport America, and also which club offers the best emergency road assistance plan.

Thanks!

Wandatoo

·
Registered
458 Posts
Although I am a Good Sam member I ended up added RV service to my AAA account. This was on the advice of a tow truck driver who stated he had dealt with most and AAA seemed to be the best. Seemed ok to me since I was already an AAA member.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you plan on doing a lot of RVing.. Passport America is worth it. We paid for it with one stay at a campground where we saved 20.00 per night... It has been paid for many times over and we just renewed for another 2 years...

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
For emergency service we use the one through CoachNet. Until recently it was a motorhome service group, however they have expanded and now serve trailers too. I've used them once when our TPMS puck broke off and deflated the front tire. Easy to work with, no hassles and they had somebody to us in short order considering it was a Memorial Weekend on a Friday night. One thing they offer that most others do not is help with your RV. So if you are out camping and have fridge problems a tech person can walk you through diagnostics to see if they can get you up and running. Same goes for an awning for that matter. Here is the benefits page

I get a Good Sam's card for camping, we don't use it much since we are mostly in USFS or State campgrounds. But nice to save a few bucks when we do stay at a private resort.

·
Outbackers Poet Laureate
3,731 Posts
We have had outstanding service from Good Sam. I have used the service on 3 ocassions in the last few years. The last being in October when, on my way back from Iowa my EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler went on my truck. I was impressed as two trucks were sent out. One for my truck and the other for our 31RQS. The truck was delivered, an hour away, to a local Ford dealer and the 31RQS placed in my driveway.

I had AAA(Plus) for about 5 years about 15 years ago. We were in an accident. it took nearly 2 hours to get a tow truck from them. Apparently, when the truck did arrive, the driver told me that because AAA took so long to reimburse the company and in addition nickled and dimed them, that many towing companies considered them last on the list to respond to, hoping another tow service would pick up the call.

The second time I was stranded on 95 North for 2 hours when my sending unit in my gas tank failed. I called several times, not knowing what the issue was. I was told the driver couldn't find me and been by the mile narker I called out several times and had seen no car or truck on the side of the highway. The thing that irked me the most was that while stranded on the over pass, within almost ear shot, below me was a Service station with a AAA sign and two trucks parked next to the garage....

I sent them a pointed letter about the inability for the Road Side Assistance operators to help, the fact that there had been no tow truck to pass by me on 95N at all and the fact that one of thier affiliated service stations was almost close enough for me to put a baseball through thier front window. I cancelled my service with them when I got no response, not even a phone call.

I did recieve a phone call about a week after I cancelled. The person on the other end of the phone wanted to know how they could do better and if I would consider renewing.

Things may have changed. That was a while ago, but any chance of me using AAA again in the future is less than slim.

On the other hand, Good Sam, once contacted called back every 15 minutes to give me a status up date, called the following day to ensure that good service was provided and asked if there was anything more they could do. I appreciate that. Alot especially when you are God knows where and need the assistance.

Eric

·
Outbackers Contributor
716 Posts
I keep hearing good things about Good Sam, so I keep renewing every year. Luckly, I have not had the chance to try them out yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We have Good Sam and it has been worth it. We had a blow a ways away from anything. They came out to change the tire on the trailer which had wrapped itself around the axle. He needed to bust out the big tools to get that sucker free. We had a bit of a wait but we opened the awning got out the chairs and ate popsicles. The next time I used it was just for my little car. Seems like they had trouble sending out the correct tow truck but we got it home. We will continue with Good Sam.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have the Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service. I have used it for towing once with good results. I use it because for 99.95 it covers the Outback, all 5 vehicle and all 4 drivers in my family. ---Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts