Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question.....but, how do air compressors work? Do you actually have to get the tanks filled somewhere or does the compressor suck the air into the tanks?

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
First of all, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Most air compressors operate by way of a piston, and valves, very similar to an engine. When the piston is on the down stroke, an intake valve opens, and allows air to enter the cylinder. As the piston starts the up stroke, the intake valve closes, and an exhaust valve opens and the air is pushed out of the cylinder and into the storage vessel under pressure.

This is of course a simplified description, and is to the best of my knowledge. If there are any compressor mechanics out there that say different, then I will concede to their experience.

Tim

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah....and I have a lot of stupid answers too!!!!!!

By the way Tim, if this weather keeps up, I'll be taking the satellite dish down this weekend.

Thanks for the compressor description

·
Outbackers Contributor
157 Posts
...Yep thats the long and short of a compressor. You can also buy just a storage tank that you take to the gas station or elsewhere and fill it with air then drag it along with you to fill up tires or rafts or whatever but why do that when you can get compressors so cheap?
Steve

No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people...don't agree? Come to Boeing and I'll introduce you to some of them
.... Hahaha

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
djd,

Dare I say this....the last of the snow melted off in my yard today, as the mercury reached above 50 for the 3rd staight day:D . Let me know when you have it down, and we can set up a meet. What is better for you, weekends or week days?

Travelers Rest

No such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people
Don't knock those stupid people. They are job security for me. While smart folks need us too, they just don't need us as often.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Need air guys? Here it is, 20 horsepower, 120 gallon tank, multi stage air dryer. We can fill everybody's tires all at once!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Mike...
Are you filling tires for MONSTER TRUCKS or what!

That's bigger than the compressor running our air system at the fire station!

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
We use it to run the spray booth, air tools (drills, sanders, nail/staple guns),blowing things off and just about anything else you can use compressed air for, and we do it all at the same time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts