Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellow OUTBACKERS...lets talk computers.

I want to know what YOU have. The meat & potatoes. I think mine is outdated, and needs to be "kicked up a notch!" If I tell my wife, "Everyone else has..." , Maybe she'll "OK" a new setup! (come on married guys...you know what I'm talkin' about!)

I currently have a custom built set-up, and have totally gutted and rebuilt it once since new.

It was built by a company I selected from COMPUTER SHOPPER called, Micronix.
It had an outstanding warranty, but less than a year after I bought it, they disappeared from the face of the earth!

After a few years, the fan on the power supply quit working, and so did the processor fan. Long story short, everything over heated and fried.
I took it to a local shop, and upgraded it to this (mid 90's):

New motherboard, power supply,
AMD K6 500 MHZ processor (was 266 MHZ)
13 GB Western Digital Hardrive (always full!)
192 MB RAM
21 inch monitor
CD burner
Windows XP Home

Surfing with Cable modem at 256 K

My internet is fast, but my computer could be faster.

Whatcha got???????

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
A friend of mine built ours 5 years ago. Here it is;

Intel pentium 3 500 megahertz processor with 256mb of ram

Just upgraded from an 8 gig to a 46 gig hard drive with windows 98 second addition (friend who is into computers says XP likes a faster processor than I have). I tried to load xp and had trouble, so I'm sticking with the 98se for now.

creative cd burner with roxio software.

48x cd rom

iomega 100 megabyte internal zip drive

My monitor is a miniscule 15 inch. I have a 17 at work that I keep forgetting to bring home.

I use dsl for internet access.

That's about it, outdated but it works

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I have a Dell P3 700mHz 384MB ram, 120GB HD running Win98SE and an el cheapo eMachine 500mHz 128MB RAM running Lindows 4.5, I use an Omniview KVM to swap between the two. Been trying to cut the cord of Microsoft and I'm getting pretty close too.

·
Outbackers.com Founder
794 Posts
You would ask
Ok here it goes, since this is what I do for a living I have 7 running computers and enough spare parts to build at least 3 more. My office is a network room, lets just say it hums and never gets cold in the winter.
The computer I do most of my work on has Windows 2000 Pro with a AMD 1200 mhz Athalon, M7VKD Biostar board, heavy duty 500 amp power supply, 4 cooling fans, 512 mg ram, CD Burner, second CD playback, Zip, Floppy, main hard drive is a 20gb 7200 rpm Western digital, backup drive is a 30gb Western digital 7200 rpm being pushed by a add on Promise Ultra 133 Tx2 Controller, Nvida Riva TnT2 32 mg video card, Us Robotics v.92 modem, creative labs platinum live sound card with a 3 way 300 watt pre amp speaker system, 500 va apc backup, 3 way digital card reader, hp 3200c flatbed scanner and lexmark 4800 x 2400 photo quality printer and a 17 inch KDS monitor. Upgrade "YES" very soon. The board CPU and memory will be changed out within 4 to 6 months. My minimum requirement I have made for my self is to double the computer speed each time I upgrade. Over kill for some yes but for someone who makes a living with it Nope... I haven't purchased a computer since 1991, always build my own.

Yo Pete, my computer flys but my internet S****

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have an hp nc6000 laptop with 1.6Ghz Intel mobile chip, 1Gb ram, 60Gb hard drive and 802.11g wireless. We also have a Compaq PC at the house that everyone else uses. It has Intel 1Ghz with 512Mb of ram.

Like Vern, I too am in the computer biz.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Now we're talking. Forget this camping stuff.

It would appear, to this point, that I own the processor speed war. We have 5 computers in our house, one in the study, one in each kid room (3), and one in the basement.

My computer was purchased through my company (www.benzel.net) and has the following specs:

+ AMD Athlon XP 1900+ processor (which is at least a GB below the lastest and greatest from AMD)
+ 512 MB RAM
+ 60 GB Hard Drive (partitioned into 3 virtual drives by Partition Magic: C: 4 GB for Windows 2000 Pro, D: 35 GB for applications, E: 21 GB for data).
+ Two optical drives (F: CD_RW and G: DVD).
+ 18" Mitsubishi Flat Panel LCD
+ Optical Mouse

Mods include a 5 1/4" drive bay cooler, PCI firewire card (for digital video camera interface), and a 10/100/1000 Gigabit copper ethernet card. Internet access is provided by Mile High Online point-to-point wireless access (I have a cool rectangular flat antenna on my roof). Download speeds average in the high 900 kbps (almost a gig), and upload is usually in the mid 200 kbps.

Now for the kids:

My olderst daughter (who is 10) is running a faster computer than some of you! She has an AMD K6-2 500 MHz processor, 384 MB RAM, and 8 GB hard drive running Windows 2000 Pro. She also has a CD-RW drive.

My son (who is 7) has a Pentium II-450 processor, 256 MB RAM, and 12 GB hard drive with DVD running Windows 2000 Pro.

My littlest girl (she is 4) has a dinosaur. But, since she usually shuts it off by turning it off, that's good. She has an old Gateway 2000 Pentium 166 with 32 MB RAM, 8 GB hard drive, CD-ROM, running Windows 98 SP2.

The basement computer (used for the daycare business) is also a dinosaur. It is a Pentium 266, 128 MB RAM, 8 GB hard Drive, CD-ROM running Windows 98 SP2.

So, if your computer is slower than that of a 7 year old, maybe it is time to upgrade? Configure a new system on Dell or Gateway.com, then get a price from www.benzel.net. Keep $200 to $500 in your pocket!

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OH MY!

I guess an upgrade is in order! I'm glad there are some computer GURU's on this site, cause I'm going to need advice!

Randy...
I got a quote from you the other day. I'm sure I put down way more computer than I needed. It'll still take some sweet talkin'. Wife don't let me buy toys at TAX TIME! (she also runs a home daycare!)

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
CamperDC:

Agreed.

Teacher: "So kids, what shall we do? Read a story? Play a board game? Do an art project? Play on the computer?"

Kids: "Computer! Computer! Let's do the computer!"

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Okay,

I tried to load xp over 98se and had a problem. The cd installed the system files and then went to restart, when it went to boot up, it wouldn't go no matter how many times I tried to restart it. The boot sequence is A then C. I tried changing the bios to use the cdrom to start from but that didn't work either. I'm reluctant to try it again because I have a bunch of files and software loaded and don't want to screw it up again.

On microsoft,s website, I found xp system boot files you can download onto a floppy to use to load xp, I wonder if that might be the ticket. Am I on the right track or should I just be happy with 98se and get a new computer soon?

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Camping479:

Personally, I would not run Windows XP on a 500 mhz system. If Windows 98 is suiting your needs, stick with it. The overhead associated with XP may even slow your PC down a bit...especially with only 256 MB of memory.

If you want to move to Windows XP, get a computer that will take advantage of this OS.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am running Windows XP on a 500 MHZ processor with only 192 MB memory. Mine operates fine, but I don't run a lot of things at the same time. It does seem pretty slow though.
I like XP a lot better than 98. It's a space/memory hog though!

I need more POWER! I have the NEED FOR SPEED!

·
Registered
279 Posts
First off, I'm not a computer person. I've only recently started into the forums and really enjoy it. It's also good typing practice. Be patient, I'm getting better.
Ok,,if this info wasn't printed on the tower, I wouldn't remember it all. We have an HP with a 3000+ (2.16 GHz) Processor. 512MB DDR SDRAM memory. 120 GB Ultra DMA Hard drive. DVD+RW/ CD-RW DVDwriter and CD writer combo drive. CD-ROM drive 48x max speed. NVIDIA GeForce 4MX graphics with 64 MB DDR shared video memory. Built in front access 7 in 1 media card reader, high speed USB2.0, and FireWire ports. Running Windows XP Home. Just bought it a couple of months ago. This "rig" is mostly for my wife. The RV rig is mostly for her and my daughter. I just get to have loads of fun playing with both.

Oh, we also have a ViewSonic 17" LCD monitor and DSL high speed connection.
And it seems a little slugish at times, but much better than the dial up we had for the last three years.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Thanks guys,

I've got 98 running pretty smooth right now so I think I'll stick with it on this machine.

Randy you're the second one to tell me they wouldn't run xp with this speed processor. Appreciate the input.
Pete, I know what you mean about slow, I had xp on the old hard drive and it was much slower than what I have now. I would like to upgrade soon though and pass this one on to the kids.

Oh and by the way Randy, I think kellerjames has you beat
even though he doesn't know it.

Better get on it vern!

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Yes, I see KJ's two month old computer is a smoking unit. 3 Ghz of processor is incredible when you think about it. My first computer was an IBM clone with an 8086 processor. The CPU ran at 6 Mhz. There was also a turbo button on the front of the unit that, when activiated, propelled the processor to 12 Mhz. WOW!!

My next computer was a Gateway 2000 Pentium 100 Mhz machine. I purchased it in late 1995, right before windows 95 came out. I took a big leap and spent the extra $$ to upgrade the memory from 8 to 16 MB! Wow! 16 whole MB of RAM. I remember purchasing it, with 17" CRT, for $3,400. Top of the line in 1995.

Today I sold a new computer on www.benzel.net to a customer who works at First Data Corporation in Englewood, CO. He chose these specs for his PC:

Chieftec Dragon black case w/ window + enlight 420w power supply
ASUS A7N8X Nforce2 chipset 8x agp usb 2.0 motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 333fsb barton processor
512MB DDR400 PC3200 (Samsung) memory
Western Digital 120GB 7200rpm ultra-ATA 100 8MB cache
NVidia Geforceâ„¢ FX 5200 128MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-video
Integrated Soundstorm™ / Dolby® Digital 6-channel audio
Lite on 52 x 24 x 52 cdrw
Lite on 16x dvd rom
Onboard 10/100 nic
56k PCI v.90 voice / fax modem
2 x 80mm double ball bearing smart fan
Round IDE / floppy cables (instead of flat ribbon cables for better internal air flow)
Matching color WIRELESS keyboard & mouse
Altec Lansing AVS500 5-pc subwoofer system
Red neon lights
Microsoft Windows XP Home
1-year warranty w/ tech support

The price? $990 delivered. We configured the same system at Dell.com. Just over $1,400 there.

Don't ya just love technology?

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Yep,

Debbie our office manager keeps our books on an apple LC3 with a portrait monitor and an hp deskwriter that prints about a page every two minutes or so. I think the processor is around 33mhz. 3400 bucks ten years ago! OUr new dell has an intel pentium 4 with over 2.0giga hertz,around 80gigs on the hard drive, cdrw, flat screen monitor, xp, excel, etc, for 990.00. You're right, computers have come a long way, and think about 5 years from now when we look back at what we have now.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Yep,

Debbie our office manager keeps our books on an apple LC3 with a portrait monitor and an hp deskwriter that prints about a page every two minutes or so. I think the processor is around 33mhz. 3400 bucks ten years ago! Our new dell for the office has an intel pentium 4 with over 2.0giga hertz,around 80gigs on the hard drive, cdrw, flat screen monitor, xp, excel, etc, for 990.00. You're right, computers have come a long way, and think about 5 years from now when we look back at what we have now.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts