Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of our new 28RS-S on April 15th, On May 3rd it went back to the dealer, before our first camping trip, to fix a number of problems that all seem to stem from a very hurried construction process. It was sheer luck that I found out that the connections at the water pump were leaking, and further inspection determined that all the connections were either not tight or had been cross threaded. There was construction dirt, dust and shavings throughout the coach, there were screws either missing or broken off both inside and outside, the flooring material at the bunk house floor register had been cut so short that the sub floor was visable. There was debris inside the black tank that looks like left over screws and it appears as if the shower was not properly installed as it does not fit snugly to the wall and is not square or sealed at the top.

We love the trailer, my wife thinks that the floorplan, the white interior and the storage are exceptional features. The dealer assures me that all of these problems are minor and can be resolved. But I am not so sure. I called Keystone and politely inquired about their quality control and was told to take my issues up with the dealer. So much for their commitment to providing quality service. At least they did send me some replacement screws.

I don't know where this is all going, I think that I just needed to vent a little. we are not new to camping as this is our third trailer in the last 10 years. Anybody with similar problems with Keystone's quality control please let me know how it worked out and how your trailer is working once the problems are solved. Thanks

p.s this is my first post, on a grest resourse for outback owners

G

·
action
Tom,
Welcome!!! Sorry to say, but most of us have the same types of problems at first with our Outbacks. Good design, good materials (for the most part), but poor quality control on Keystones part. Most of your problems sound like they can be resolved quickly. I think that you have found the right place to keep up on things to watch for, and some really great modifications. Don't get discouraged, I think that you will really enjoy your Outback. LOL

Happy camping

Gary

·
Outbackers Contributor
260 Posts
Tom,

I would second Gary's comments and only add, in my opinion, RV's in general are not constructed to a particularly high standard. Whenever I've purchased a new camper the first thing I do is figure out what needs to be fixed, knowing there will be something. That's not an excuse for what you've found with your Outback but just my observation with RV's in general.

Hope the dealer is able to correct your problems and get you on the road to the important activity.... CAMPING!

Greg

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Don't be too discouraged, it sounds like a lot of minor problems the dealer will be able to take care of. We had a few issues in the beginning, but our dealer is great and took care of everything. Stay on it, and use that warranty until everything is right.

Mike

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ditto to both of the above post.

Welcome to Outbackers

Personally what I would do (if you haven't already) at this point is print a copy of Tom Boles pdi checklist and go to the dealership (if they still have the trailer) carefully do a complete inspection.... especially the roof.
We took this particular checklist with us when we went to pick up our TT it was/is very thorough. We requested a ladder to climb on top and discovered several nails sticking up through the rubber roof.... and had them reseal around everything up there.

We took about 6 hours on our PDI... and they were right there fixing everything we found
Like everyone one else here, we change, upgrade a few things make mods...but we now love our Outback

Makes a person wonder where they get their workers... and do they train them in RV construction.

Hope you are able to get everything taken care of and get camping sunny

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
First of all, welcome to the Outbackers!

Unfortunately its a combination of poor quality control at times at Keystone and poor inspection when the camper is delivered to your dealership. Keystone should have caught those items, though the extra screws and saw dust seems standard (you'll read we've joked about this and the mis-labeled black/gray water tanks too). But the dealership should have done a complete inspection before they put it on the lot to sell it, sounds like they didn't. I believe your dealer is correct most the items are pretty simple to correct, the flooring in the bunkhouse maybe a bit more of an issue, either relaying flooring or patching, make sure you accept their correction before they do it so your satisfied. For the reasons noted above the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) is important, but most dealers zip though them. As mentioned, Tom Boles PDI Checklist is good to use even after you have taken possession of the trailer, though its best used before you sign off on the trailer.

Sounds like your dealer is taking care of you, just keep tabs on them and ask to be shown each of the items and how they repaired it. Don't accept poor repairs. I would ask the dealer for some sort of compensation, like a $100 shopping spree at their store, or something to regain your confidence in your camper since part of this problem is on them, they can't totally spin it off to Keystone once they accepted the trailer.

Best of luck and hope you get it back and can enjoy Happy Camping soon.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I would ask the dealer for some sort of compensation, like a $100 shopping spree at their store, or something to regain your confidence in your camper since part of this problem is on them, they can't totally spin it off to Keystone once they accepted the trailer.
Especially when Keystone has already spun it off on the dealerships with their statement to Tom
I called Keystone and politely inquired about their quality control and was told to take my issues up with the dealer.
With product support like that, it is amazing that they can hold on to dealers, let alone consumers.

Our dealership, which I think was the same as Mike's was fairly thorough in going through the unit before we arrived to take delivery. I haven't actually gone camping with it yet, but after a night in the driveway, and de-winterization, the only problem I can find is a leaking window gasket in the forward bunkroom emergency escape window, and that only leaked while towing the unit home in the rain, not while sitting in the driveway.

I am waiting for our first official Outback weekend before I schedule a trip back to the dealer.

Tim

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems but this is pretty much the rv industry standard. I had a fleetwood mallard as first tt lots of little things like yours. My first outback 28bhs (witch was stolen) was problem free, The second outback 28bhs had a burnt up slide motor due to wires being routed through the slide mechanisim instead of around and no vent in the gray tank. I feel it is luck of the draw as to what kind if any problems you will find. My brothers comfort is still having problems after a year. So let the dealer do whats nessary and enjoy your outback as we enjoy ours. JMHO

Jim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Welcome to OUTBACKERS!

You get really excited when you get a new RV, and then it's a huge let down, and you question yourself when all isn't well. I lived your pain too!

I am a firm believer that KEYSTONE QUALITY CONTROL is severely lacking. (ok, it sux!) I think most problems should be caught before the product leaves the assembly plant.

If quality control was like that where I work, we would never save a life or property! (fire dept)

I think it's mostly supply and demand. They are cranking them at as fast as possible, and the workers are getting tired of it.

Take your RV in to the dealer, and once everything is fixed, you'll enjoy the summer much more.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts