Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get my outback as planned from Mike Thompsons RV in Santa Fe Springs, Ca.. I went to pick up the 2004 21RS and it didn't have a stove in it and all the wood trim and floor were dark cherry in color. I ordered it at the RV show in Pomona, Ca. approx. 2 1/2 months ago. It was fully loaded as per the brochure and had light oak trim and floor. This was only the beginning of the horror story from MTRV. Needless to say we backed out of the deal. The salesman said Keystone no longer built the trailer with light wood features. (LIAR, he never caller keystone). Also, I was NEVER told the trailer didn't have a stove in it until two days before we were supposed to pick it up. We didn't find out about the trim until the day we went to MTRV and they wanted us to sign the contracts before we saw the trailer. My wife and I have decided not to get a trailer at this time but travel and hotel it until we feel confident again to look for a trailer. Be advised about MTRV's shady business practices.

jim

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems.

If it were me I would not let one bad apple spoil the bunch. I would look at a different dealer. There are good ones out there.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I bought my first RV (tent trailer) from a local Mom & Pop type RV lot.
I bought my OUTBACK from the LARGEST DEALER IN THE MIDWEST.
My experience was MUCH BETTER and service was MUCH BETTER at the local Mom & Pop lot!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm picking up my 21rs that we ordered from Mike Thompson this Friday. We were told it didn't come in light wood anymore even though their 'in stock' 2004 models had light wood. I called Keystone and a person in sales said it is true that they went to the darker wood for newer 2004's. Thompsons called us a couple of weeks ago and said our trailer was in but it didn't have the oven we ordered it with because rv manufacturers are having trouble getting large quanities of ovens for some reason. My wife said that was unacceptable and they ordered an oven and installed it. Also, a RV dealer we talked to at the RV show in Pomona just called us with a follow-up call and confirmed the hard to get oven situtation for all RV manufacturers.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My guess is that they grabbed a stove from a different unit and installed it. I talked with my dealer and he confirmed stove problems. I think Vern posted something here on this site about what the problem is. Some part is constrained as best I can remember.

This is the first I have heard of the dark wood we really like the light color.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was told by a Wildwood dealer that the manufactuer who supplies most of the ovens for RVs has moved the operation to China, and that until manufacturing and shipping got set up there would be a shortage of ovens. He said some RV manufactures bought large quantities of ovens so as not to run out. He thought that ovens might become an option where they used to be standard equipment.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jim,
That bites. It seems that it's somewhat difficult to find reputable dealers of any big ticket item anymore. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Keep trying other dealers. If you blow off RVing, then this Thompson chump wins. Report to BBB all that has happened. Create some heat for him to deal with how ever you legally can VIA emails, posts on RV forums etc. Best of luck to you.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Yet another confrimation on the oven issue. Our dealer told us that if we ordered, he could not guarentee an oven for the reasons stated above. I think he said it was the themostat for the oven that is now being manufactured overseas, but I could be mistaken.

Didn't matter, my wife liked the 26 RS that he had on the lot, light colored trim and all, so we went with that one.

Jim, I hope you don't lose your interest in RV'ing because of the poor experience you had with the dealer.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
James, same thing happened to us when we purchased our 26 RS in January (darker trim and no oven) but with the Jasmine color scheme (the green) we preferred the darker wood. As far as the oven goes, we received one of those "WE OWE" forms from the dealer that says they will install an oven for us after it comes in. The nationwide shortage of ovens is real.

Randy

·
Registered
258 Posts
GRIZHLR said:
I was told by a Wildwood dealer that the manufactuer who supplies most of the ovens for RVs has moved the operation to China, and that until manufacturing and shipping got set up there would be a shortage of ovens.
The problem was actually a valve, and the manufacturer moved to Mexico. When they did, you had what was considered to be a normal backlog of orders (due to the move). But the first valves that came out of the new plant were all garbage. I've heard failure rates quoted up to 100%. By the time they got everything worked out the damage had already been done.

It's my understanding that another manufacturer jumped in and is now making the valves too, so the supply should be getting back to normal sometime in March. But, in the meantime...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I called another Outback dealer just to make sure they didn't have light wood anymore and they said you CAN get it in light wood also. He too said it was called the Sidney Edition, BUT, I then called the Outback Factory and talked to sales to confirm my origional dealer wasn't well informed and the Outback factory said the Sidney Edition is only for their 5th wheelers and all late 2004's only come in dark wood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts