Outbacker RV Forum banner

Drainage problem

997 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rerion 
#1 ·
Ok... need your expert advice.

I have a drainage problem with my Outback 25FB. During normal usage, this doesn't show up, but here's the problem.

If the kitchen sink faucets are turned on full blast and allowed to run (as in draining the fresh tank into the gray in order to flush the gray), the water starts to back up into the tub. At this point the gray tank is NOT full - it probably isn't 1/3rd full. The water will SLOWLY drain back out of the tub.

As I say, during normal usage, the system doesn't do this, it only happens if I run a lot of water into the kitchen sink. During showers or while washing dishes, nothing backs into the tub.

Have not pulled the bottom cover material off the trailer to see how it's plumbed (would like to hear anyone's experience about doing this as well), but was wondering if anyone had some ideas. Vent pipe seems to be open and working ok.

Thoughts?

Eric

See less See more
#2 ·
Eric,

First need a little clarification.

1. When you turn on the kitchen faucet, full blast, does the kitchen sink drain or fill with water and slowly drain?

2. When the water comes up into the tub, does it gurgle with air? How much is really coming into the tub? Does it go into the tub at first and then drain back out after a second?

Try turning on the faucet until you see it backing up, go open the gray valve, did the tub go down? (do this with empty tank, not at the campground)

It may be something very simple.

Thanks

Kevin

#3 ·
Sounds like a possible Venting problem. Check the vent on your roof for the gray water tank to make sure its isn't clogged.

#4 ·
I agree, does sound like a venting issue. The cap on the vents should pop off pretty easily, its possible its clogged or improperly installed. If you can hook up a shop vac to it you might be able to determine if its clogged based on the sound of the vac, reversing it may dislodge if its blocked down low.

#5 ·
"Gurgling or air sounds indicate venting problems"

You should be able to shine a light down the vent tube at the roof and see if bees or something is in there. Can also lower a string with washer attached to see if you hit anything along the way.

Start simple and work from there.

Good luck

Kevin

#7 ·
I will be eagerly waiting to hear if you find a solution to the problem. I have used my 23fbs quite a few times and this weekend I experienced the same problem for the first time while running water in the sink to fill the grey water tank for flushing purposes. At least I think it was the first time. We happened to have some rugs laying in the tub and they got soaked. Might have happened before with nothing in the tub we didn't notice it.

I will check the vent as mentioned in some other posts.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.