Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I can't help but notice that most everyone is using the Reese HP Dual Cam sway control. I'm hoping to finish up the deal today & I'm wondering if I should have this put into the deal or take credit for the WD & sway they want to put on & buy up. I'll be pulling the 28rss with a '03 Burb, Tow package, 4x4, 1500.

Again thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

dp

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I wouldn't say everyone.. a large number of us use the Equalizer setup.

As for including it... When I bought our previous camper I had it in the deal, since they would do all the setup and leveling. Their price for the hitch was outrageous and had I know I probably would have bought the Equalizer on my own, currently RVWholesalers.com sells it for $399 including shipping, they also sell the Reese as well. The advantage is if you've never set one up before its a bit of a process and you'll have to do it when you pick up your camper instead of the dealer. If you feel comfortable doing it on your own find out how much they are charging for it and the brake controller and compare prices. Again, RVwholesalers.com sells the Prodigy for $99 and about another $10 for the wiring harness which is plug & play. So for around $500 you could have hitch and brake controller, then some of your time to install them. If your dealer is asking 600-700 it might be worth it to have them do it. If they are not going to install a Prodigy remember what Nancy Regan taught us... just say no!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I use Equal-I-zer as well. Love it. Using it on my Tahoe, no sway, easy to hook up.
I didn't get it for free, but got it for a really good price. My dealer didn't carry them. They still installed it, but it was their first. Teamed up with Prodigy, it's the greatest thing I did.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We also use the Equal-i-zer and Prodigy controller. We took Y's advice and ordered from RV Wholesalers and got the whole set up for about $500.00. We paid the dealer an hours labor time to install when we picked up our trailer and still saved about $300.00. It was well worth it because it's a great set-up.

The five hour drive home from Bakersfield with the big trucks passing us was no problem. Felt nothing when they went by. We had an awful experience about 15 years ago when we had a little 17 foot Nomad and no sway control. Sort of a "tail wagging the dog", white knuckle, think I'm gonna throw up kind of experience. Soooo when we made the decision to try TT camping again we wanted to get the best. I understand the Reese is great too.

Happy Kamping sunny

lisa

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use the Reese Dual Cam system and love it. It took me about 1 to 1-1/2 hours to install it and get it calibrated. I purchased mine from eTrailer.com for about $130. Etrailer was the cheapest I could find on the net, (Camping World sells it for $180 w/PC discount) and their sales and customer service has been quite impressive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts