Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so as I'm surfing the net looking for a new fiver, the GF asks, "where are we going to put the dog"...."and six bikes"? If the hitch takes up the bed of the truck, where do you put all the big stuff and animals? Oh, btw, we don't have one of those girly dogs...big dog (something like rhodesian ridgeback), 80 lbs +.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok, so as I'm surfing the net looking for a new fiver, the GF asks, "where are we going to put the dog"...."and six bikes"? If the hitch takes up the bed of the truck, where do you put all the big stuff and animals? Oh, btw, we don't have one of those girly dogs...big dog (something like rhodesian ridgeback), 80 lbs +.
My German Sheperd rides in the trailer in the front bedroom run the ac with a generator. The bikes will go on a rack when the hitch gets put on the back of the trailer.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,327 Posts
I pulled the back seat out for the dogs. James

·
Outbackers Contributor
969 Posts
Our dog (50# yellow lab) rides in the back of our pick up. We have friends who have a large dog and he rides in his crate in the toy hauler they own.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,285 Posts
The girls go in the back seat with James. The bikes are on the back bumper adn the kayak is down the center of the hallway from the foot of the bed past the bathroom.

Jim

·
Registered
913 Posts
our goldens are back seat drivers. one always looks over my shoulder and the other one, just sleeps

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,285 Posts
our goldens are back seat drivers. one always looks over my shoulder and the other one, just sleeps
Our girls are the same way, maybe their family trees cross somewhere. One hardly leaves the floor whether we go for an hour or 10 hours and the other is between the back seat and perched on the center arm rest/console. But know this, when that truck stops they are both READY TO GO!!!

Jim

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Peanuts always traveled with us. Now, sadly, we are down to one 100 pound Peanut. While not related to the original poster's question to 5th wheel owners, I thought I'd chime in ;-)

My previous tow vehicle was '97 Expedition. 3 big dogs, road in the cab... 2 generally in the back seat..and the third in the cargo area's homemade "dog bed platform"

In my current F250 crew cab, my Golden Jazzy girl has the whole rear seat to herself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
All three of our dogs rode in the back seat of the truck when we were towing the camper from place to place.

·
Outbackers Contributor
503 Posts
Our smaller corgis ride with us in the truck, not by my choice
We use the toy hauler part of our fifth wheel for the four bikes we take with us. If you don't have the toy hauler, then I don't know where the bikes would go besides, the front of the truck on a rack or the back of the fiver with a rack.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,173 Posts
our dog rides in the back seat with the boys and we put 4 bicycles in the trailer. 2 are folding and go on the bottom bunk and the 2 kids stand up in the master bedroom.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Our two labs and one golden lay on the floor of the crew cab with the rear seat folded up. But I'm guessing with six bikes you have more than two people in the truck! Sounds like a bike rack on the back would be a good option of you don't end up with a toy hauler--that would be my first choice in looking for a new fiver.

·
Registered
996 Posts
We fold the back seat cushions up, extend the load floor and put the dog's pillow over that. Our dog is 90 lbs.
X2

I purchased one of those oversized pillows a Wally World for less than $30 and our two dogs loved it on our 12K mile, 3 month odyssey this past summer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Our two dogs just lay on the back seat on a blanket. They get all excited now when we say the word "Truck"... I hope they didn't hear me type it!

·
Registered
267 Posts
We let them ride in the back seat... Dodge Quad Cab.

They love the a/c blowing on thier snouts. I've never seen two animals love to travel as much as they do. They're two year old Samoyed pups...and we actually bought our camper because of them. (Disney's Ft. Wilderness put a stop to tent camping with dogs...even though we only camped during mild weather and had their crates inside our huge tent)

If I had six bikes...I think I'd mount a reciever on the front of the truck and one on the rear bumper of the camper and hang 3 on each. It's just two of us...and occaisionally our 22 year old son. We just ordered folding bikes...which will go in the basement, or in bags inside the camper during tow. Then when we're unhitched...we can put them in the truck bed with the roll-n-lock cover to keep them from wandering eyes...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dont have a dog but I had a trailer receiver put on the front of the truck (bolt holes are already there so people can mount a winch there so it wasnt very expensive at a hitch place. I put my bicycle rack on the front of the truck then when we get where we are going I detach the 5th wheel and put the bicycle rack in the rear receiver while we run around the area looking for bike paths

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
When we had our Raptor they road in their, no problems. They seemed to do fine, from the warm mattress we found when we stopped they just slept there the whole time. Not enough room for kids and dogs in the truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Ford F-250 crew cab. I put a canvas cover on the leather seats and the Airedales ride there. In the fiver we have collapsible wire crates that are stored in the front storage area and put them up to stay in when we go exploring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts