Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Outbackers
Make sure yall open the pressure relief when filling the hot water tank. I did'nt open it and the air blew out the drain plug. Bounced off the cement driveway and landed about 200 feet across the yard. lucky no one was in the path of this flying plastic projectile. Funny thing though, it did'nt strip out the threads on the plug.
Be careful, Wood

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,020 Posts
Kinda sound like the Champagne incident???? Eh, Rob?

OK this will be the last time I razz you about it.

Maybe.

·
Outbackers Contributer
1,806 Posts
a good tip.
Another good tip is to keep a spare drain plug on hand.
You DO have a spare drain plug, don't you?

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,020 Posts
NO?
I don't have a spare plug... I really need a spare plug?...
OMG... I better get a spare plug.

OK, now I'm freking out!

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,472 Posts
Didn't know anything about that being a possibility. We do, however usually open the relief valve to be sure the tank is full.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I generalyrun some water in the fresh water tank and thenopen a faucet to purge lines. I do this before each trip because I drain everything after each trip. After the lines are purged I flip the breaker back on for the water heater. That way I don't have to worry about forgetting to do it when I get to the campground. Used to be I'd have to hear "why isn't there any hot water" before the breaker would get turned on. LOL
Who says men can't be trained?

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,767 Posts
Gee maybe you could put a potato in the drain and aim it at your neighbor

·
Registered
54 Posts
One point seems to have been missed here. A water heater is designed to use city water presser or pump presser. Unless the system was being filled under extremely high presser or the plug was bad, there is no way it would have popped.
There shouldn’t be a need to vent the tank unless you want to fill it faster.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is an old topic. I am glad someone brought it back to life though. What in the heck are you guys talking about? I have never opened anything on my water heater before filling. Not in the trailer, or my house. I have never had a problem. Now however, I, and along with a million other campers are probably nervous about this coming year. And whether or not to even use the water heater. Please explain this experience you have had. Was it just one person, one time? Does it happen on a regular basis? Is it going to happen to me? And remember everyone put those stem caps back on after filling tires with air.

Jm

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
the recommended procedure is to open a hot water faucet while filling the hot water heater, whether in the RV or in the house. You may or may not have to pop open the pressure relieve valve on the RV hot water heater, it is recommended to do so to be able to use the whole capacity of the tank, but you do not have to remove all of the air from the top of the tank.

As far as blowing the plug, this is not something that happens all of the time, there had to have been something different for it to blow like this. Check the plug before installing to see if there is any damage to the threads, make sure it fits tight and is not cross threaded. Others have replaced the plug with a brass plug because the plastic plugs are easily messed up.

As far as this happening, I don't think it happens often, but obviously it can happen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good to know. DH usually takes care of that kind of thing, and I think he turns on the hot water tap when filling the tank.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,940 Posts
Others have replaced the plug with a brass plug because the plastic plugs are easily messed up.

As far as this happening, I don't think it happens often, but obviously it can happen.
I've been told the brass plug is a big NO NO with a ceramic lined heater like the OB's have. (I think it's ceramic, some type of glass) The main time the plug blows is when you drain the tank not filling. Opening the pressure relief valve is recommended before pulling the plastic plug.

Good luck
Bill.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Would a drain plug that is in good condition and properly installed blowout, before the relief valve itself would relieve? Was the hot water heater already on before the water was introduced into the system?

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Others have replaced the plug with a brass plug because the plastic plugs are easily messed up.

I've been told the brass plug is a big NO NO with a ceramic lined heater like the OB's have. (I think it's ceramic, some type of glass) The main time the plug blows is when you drain the tank not filling. Opening the pressure relief valve is recommended before pulling the plastic plug.

Good luck
Bill.
[/quote]

The water heaters in the Outback trailers are all aluminum with no lining. They use plastic plugs because the aluminum is soft and would easily distort when a brass plug was used. You can still use a brass plug, just don't crank down on it when you install it,

As for the plastic plug blowing out, I will give a possible reason. If the tank were heated with propane and no water in the tank then the plug could actually soften/melt to the point that the normal pressure developed while heating the tank could have blown it out.

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
Funny...

2 posts to this thread when it was posted in 2004.

Counting my post, it has 16 new replies.

Are we all bored and a bit stir crazy for spring to arrive?

·
Outbackers Contributor
515 Posts
The water heaters in the Outback trailers are all aluminum with no lining. They use plastic plugs because the aluminum is soft and would easily distort when a brass plug was used. You can still use a brass plug, just don't crank down on it when you install it,
Only use a plastic plug!! Aluminum will react with other metals and it is usually the loser! Using a brass plug can slowly eat your tank from the inside out. Use the plastic plug and replace it everytime it is removed. It will cost you alot less in the long run.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good safety tips!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts