Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I forgot what they looked like. Anyway, Monday Me, Bonnie and the Girls took the trip up to No. Jersey to pick yhe trailer up. Everything went pretty well. All the paperwork was completed months ago which made it a little easier on the family(right to the fun stuff). The pre-delivery went well and the hitch was simple enough to operate. Trailer wasn't the cleanest though. Pulled like a charm. 50 to 65mph no problem. 9.4 mpg ok I guess! Trouble gettin in the driveway though I think it got smaller since we left in the morning. Played for a few hours and read all operating manuals. Now that we're settled took a good look at the trailer, still very happy. Talk to you all soon. Hope everyone is well! Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
208 Posts
Very cool Brian, have fun and enjoy it. Can't wait to do the same next month.

Rob

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Congrats Brian,

Was that at Garick RV in Oak Ridge? My wife and I may end up purchasing our 26RS from them. How long did they spend with the walk through? Was everything in order? I have heard some good things about their service department.

Again, congratulations on the new addition.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Good luck and enjoy

It's a very exciting time

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Tim, Yes we did purchase from Garick. No regrets! Just a couple things that could have been better. No pillows, this kinda got on my nerves a little because I tried to purchase an additional set (one for bed and one for couch). Not sure why but no pillows. They are shipping a set out. Hard to get a clear answer about how much the second set would cost. The regular PDI guy wasn't in on Monday so we had one of the other fellas stand in. He did the best he could I guess. I have a technician backround and I got enough info to feel comfortable leaving. Once home I read everything I could. Service dept. was Great!!!! All additional hitch work needed was perfect! very good work. Brake controller very neat install. I would still recommend this dealer. These things are minor and don't sway my vote. To answer your question on time spent on walk through I'd say about 45 minutes. Talk soon, Good Luck with your purchase! Thanks for the greetings everyone! Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the lowdown on pillows. The pillows are changed on the 04 models. They are no longer throw pillows. They are however couch armrest pillows instead. Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you had no trouble pulling the 21 with a 4-runner, I will have the same thing in 11 days... Can't wait to start camping this year !

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ymryl, Congratulations on your new Outback! If You have any questions feel free to ask, thats why we're here. Enjoy! Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
60 Posts
Hey- we may look at Garick too. May be a bit far for us though- 2 hours I guess. There is an Outback dealer about an hour away in PA "Fretz RV"- did you happen to look there, Brian? Also if you don't mind- what did you get the '04 21RS for?
We have a Merc Mountaineer v* with towing package, 100" wheel base, and GVWR of 5550 (i believe)- what do ya think? Need sway control and brake something or other too?

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Drew'smom, Hello and welcome to outbackers. What price did you get in Pa. if you don't mind me asking. I believe Garick gave me a very good price and with the exception of the trailer not being the cleanest all went very well. In confidence I agreed that I wouldn't discuss the selling price with any potential buyers. If you'd like I will call them and ask if it would be ok. I believe you'd be very happy there. If you call them ask for Charlie, tell him you met me on this site. He will know me by the description of my family. Brian Bonnie and the Girls. Hope this helps! Good Luck! Brian

As far as your Mountaineer you need to know how much it will tow. Check your owners manual for this. The other option would be the decal on the driver door may have the GCVWR GROSS COMBINED VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING. Take this number and subtract the actual weight of the vehicle without cargo or passengers, this is referred to as CURB WEIGHT. The remaining number is your towing capacity. Gross vehicle weight doesn't tell you enough!! You need to know what the vehicle will tow. This number must include the cargo and all passengers in the tow vehicle. If your vehicle will tow 6000lbs than subtract weight of passengers and cargo in vehicle from 6000lbs. Example 6000 minus 850 equals 5150. This would be the maximum allowable weight of your potential trailer including cargo,weight dist, and sway control devices. Hope I didn't confuse you!

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Brian,
Picked up our 21RS today, I agree, the 4-runner pulls it just fine (although I only averaged 9 mpg, have to try some higher octane gas when we go on a real trip). I did run in to one issue however. I had to pull a pretty tight turn to the right when leaving the dealer and discovered (when I got home) that the trailer connector cable pulled out enough to disconnect the lights, brakes, etc... (The amazing thing is that my wife was behind me in the car the entire way home and never made any effort to let me know I had no lights... Note to self, 4-runners brakes alone WILL stop the camper). I am going to have to see if I can find an extension for that cable somewhere.

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ymryl, Congratulations, you guys must be exited! Our plug was also too short. The dealer gave us an extension which got the job done(even though it was a little bulkey) As for your wife!! gotta luv her! Till death do us part! She was probably daydreaming about your first camping trip! 9 Mpg. here also. This sat. will be our first trip! Also 8:00 this morning(wed) taking for estimate, limb fell on causing a little damage. Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts