Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been meaning to post some of my mods for a while but haven't been able to get around to it. I finally made the time for it today and here they are.

Inside:

Bunk ladder
I needed a ladder stout enough for my oldest son. He is 5'-4" now but is still not quite tall enough to climb up in the bunk. The material is poplar and it locks to the upper bunk rail with two half turn latches so it won't come off when in use.

Magazine racks
We love the 21RS but the one thing it needs more of is storage space. Added five magazine racks which are good for more than just magazines.

TV
After the stock Legend TV/DVD player died, I purchased a Dynex (Best Buy house brand) to replace it. Can't complain about it so far. Bigger picture and a low price.

Bunk support
I posted this one last week but thought I would throw it in the mix. It's made of 1" x 3" clear vertical grain fir. I just swing the upper pad into position and turn the lock at the bottom a quarter turn. It's very solid when installed.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Outside:

Tongue floor
This was one of my first mods and has been one of the best. I had problems with the front tank cover trying to blow off when on the highway. Many times when we would stop we would find one or two of the rubber latches had either come loose or had broken. I finally figured that the air moving under the trailer was trying to lift the cover off. My solution was to buy a 4' x 4' piece of fluted plastic sheet that is used for greenhouses. It's fairly stiff and UV resistant. I mounted in on the inside of the tongue and tied it down with UV resistant zip ties.

Outside sink trivet
The outside kitchen is nice but really, who ever uses the outside sink? My wife wanted a place to sit down hot pots on. My solution was a 12" x 12" tile with wood blocks glued to the back that fit snuggly into the outside sink. If we need to put something hot on the picnic table it is an instant trivet.

Water heater heat deflector
When the water heater is on, all the exhaust rises straight into the window above our sofa. Since I like to keep the windows cracked I had to change the path that heat takes. This is made from a couple bent up galvanized shingles and pop rivets. It may not be pretty but it does exactly what I need it to do.

Hose hanger
I absolutely hate it when the fresh water hose get dirty. Found an "adjustable" rubber strap that makes a great hanger for it. The strap has holes every few inches for relocating the hooks where you want them. I just make one loop around the post to mount the hanger and another loop to hang the hose.

Quicky chocks
I wanted a pair of chock that were sturdy but could be thrown down in an instant. I don't like the little plastic ones you find at most rv stores so I built my own. They fit between the tires with about ½" to spare. The best part is that they can't flip up out of the way if a tire rolls onto them.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Stabilizer pads
2" x 12" x 12" blocks with rope handles so they are easy to grab. Even easier for my eldest son.

Storage compartment organizer
The 21RS is short on storage inside and out so I have to make the most of what there is. I lined the floor in inner wall with OSB. Then I found a pair of plastic storage drawers that I could fit inside (just barely fit through the door) and strapped them to the OSB so they won't go anywhere. I added a shelf for the linx levelers. The totes fill the rest of the space.

Combi-cams
I was appalled when I found out that all storage door keys are the same. Found these on-line only to discover that the company that makes them is less than three miles from my house.

Outdoor speakers
The Jensen speakers that came with the trailer died the second year we owned it. The replacements are Boss MR50W 5.25-Inch 2-Way Marine Speakers from Amazon. They required a hole about ¼" larger diameter than the originals. I enlarged the holes in the exterior skin with a sanding drum on a cordless Dremel tool. They even use the same hole pattern for mounting. The sound is much better than the originals.

Beaver spare tire cover
Can't go anywhere without this.

Beaver lights
They are 110v. If we were dry camping I wouldn't want to use the battery power for tacky lights. Still need to have them hanging all the time because everyone can't see the spare tire cover when we are in a back in site.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just might have to take a closer look to your front storage solution, the slide support and the outside sink trivet!

And thanks for the plastic idea for under the propane tanks! It has worked well for me as well.

Contacted Combi-Cam and will be taking one of my keyed locks to the factory to get matching combi-cams all around!

·
Registered
750 Posts
some great mod's there! Outside sink cover is a great Idea, we really don't use the sink as a sink, so it's on my list of mods

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I showed my wife your sink trivet and she loved it. Here I thought we had all the mods done. Thanks for a great idea!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Stop posting these threads. Every time I see one it costs me more money! ;-)

·
Registered
913 Posts
sure is fun isn't it. looks great.

kevin

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice mod pics. Gave me some ideas. I liked the magazine rack idea but the wife shot that down. She likes to hide things from me ... I guess to keep things interesting
. Once things disappear into the cupboards and cranny's of the Outback my only hope of finding anything is to ask her.

Say, do you have a link to where I could gets some of those outer storage compartment door locks. It's something I've been thinking about since I heard that most of the keys are the same.

Thanks for posting your mods,

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
There is a link for the combi-cams in the words above the picture. For anyone ordering them, mine took the 1-1/8" bolt length. Also the finger pulls on the stock key locks don't fit the combi-cams. You have to buy the ones that are made for them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice mods. I love the sink trivet! Where do store it when traveling? Does it stay in the sink while folded up?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The faucet is in the way to leave it on the sink while traveling. I think my wife either puts it in the oven or in one of the cabinets.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The outside kitchen is nice but really, who ever uses the outside sink?
Use the sink all the time but I've used the stove I think 3 times in 5 years. To each his own.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The outside kitchen is nice but really, who ever uses the outside sink?
Use the sink all the time but I've used the stove I think 3 times in 5 years. To each his own.

[/quote]

That's interesting. We use our outdoor stove most of the time but never use the outdoor sink.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those are great mods, thanks for sharing. I am also challenged with the lack of space in the 21RS, but really love the unit. You have given me a lot of really good ideas. I am curious about the locking mechanism you used for the ladder. Any chance I can see a close up picture, so I can understand and of course shamelessly copy it? Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll try to drop by the storage lot later today and get a couple pictures for you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts