Outbacker RV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here are the pics of the ladder latches. They aren't the best shots but not bad for standing on my head trying to use a cell phone camera.

The ladder clamps around the board at the edge of the bed platform. I built it so that all the weight is taken by the floor and the connection at the edge of the bed is only to keep it stable. I made it with a solid rung that sits on the floor to help distribute the load. A piece of indoor/outdoor carpet adhered to the bottom of that rung keeps it from scratching the floor.

In this pic the latches are "closed" so the ladder won't come off.

The same position with the latches "open".

View from below the ladder looking up with latches "closed".

Again from below with latches "open".

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nice, that's my biggest complaint about the top bunk in the 310, the high one...the ladder is too short and the curved steps make it hard to climb.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ladders, what are those? ;-) the 301bq doesn't have any. The kids just climb and the littlest one is on the bottom. :)

On the outside kitchen. We hardly every use any of it. I store my grill supplies in the sink (extra hose, lighter, bottle adapter), and my grill utensils fit behind everything when it is folded up. So it's basically just another storage unit for me. If that stove was a grill instead of stove, then it would be used constantly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the pictures of the latches for the ladder, now I get it. Guess I need to get to the woodworking. Rob

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just a quick update on a couple more mods done since I originally started this topic.

The most important mod of all.

Fridge fan
Topic Link

Extend-a-shower.

Outside fridge compartment fan.

Painted sun faded window trim with Krylon Fusion spray paint.

Equa-flex and wet bolt installation.

Vortex 90046 universal replacement fan in the bathroom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow thanks for the mods. Love the ladder even a year later, people (like me) still find this stuff. I am going to attempt to make a similar ladder real solution to a real problem! Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have been meaning to post some of my mods for a while but haven't been able to get around to it. I finally made the time for it today and here they are.

Inside:

Magazine racks
We love the 21RS but the one thing it needs more of is storage space. Added five magazine racks which are good for more than just magazines.

I love the magazine racks. How did you tell where to screw them to the wall?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love the magazine racks. How did you tell where to screw them to the wall?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I made the same things out of solid cherry.

http://99.224.70.168/RVmods/magazine_rack.htm

I just used plastic screw anchors (the new style ones with the very coarse outside thread made for drywall installation) and then qty 4 - #8 x 1 1/4" flat head wood screws to screw them to the wall. Really a useful mod!

Bruce

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Sorry haven't been around for a couple days.

The top of the slide out support has a piece of 3/16" thick rubber. The bottom has a piece of black indoor/outdoor carpet so it doesn't scratch the floor.

The ladder has the same carpet on the bottom.

The magazine racks are installed with skinny plastic hollow wall anchors. I think they came with the racks. Gave me the shakes having to drill holes in the walls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made the same bunk support. Works perfectly. Thank you for the idea.

I put a layer of the rubbery shelf liner on the top. And set the whole support on top of a rubber backed carpet. Does not move.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
FJM which just happens to be about three miles from my house. I had to use the 1-1/8" cylinder length. Also, the finger pulls on my outback didn't fit the combi-cams so I had to buy the ones made for them.

FJM

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did the trivit mod and it was used constantly. That was a good idea.

I was going to do the front storage mod, but as it sits thats where all my blocks, wheel chocks, dry kindling/paper, etc go. Since its full up as it is, was no reason to do it

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have to agree on the trivet. It's one of the most handy mods I've done. Considering how many topics have been on needing a new outdoor sink due to melting it, the trivet is cheap and easy insurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2010 21RS and find this thread very interesting. Would like to pursue some of these modifications.
Where did all the pictures go?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Try this. Sold the 21RS in 2013 but still have the pictures.

My mods album

21 - 40 of 40 Posts