Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all of you have been waiting with anticipation to hear about my trailer being repaired after the backhoe hit it over the winter.

The fiberglass on the fronts of the trailers is so thin, it really can't be repaired from the outside alone, it would be too weak to hold up. I had to remove the inside shelf, lower bunk and a piece of the front wall and insulation so a fiberglass patch could be put on from the inside. Then Tommy the body shop guy could fill and sand out the damage to the outside. Then it was a matter of priming, painting and clear coating the outside. Even though the damage was only about 6 square inches, a 2 foot square part had to be painted to blend it in. He also loosened the corner trim and pulled the dent out of that the best he could. Once it was all done, you can't tell where the repair is. If you look very close, the only difference is the texture is not the same where the work was done compared to the rest of the front panel. It would almost have been easier and faster to remove the front panel and replace it!

Now all I have to do is put the insides back together, repack the wheel bearings and get it home to hit the road in two weeks. My wife has been asking every day when I'll be ready to bring it home, she wants time to do her thing too. I say relax, you've got two weeks........that doesn't go over to well
She likes to have plenty of time to get ready.

So the moral of the story is; try not to damage the fiberglass, it's a pain to fix.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know, the landlord talked to him, he also took out a garage door a few weeks later down at the end of the building which he also has to pay for. I'll be keeping my trailer someplace else next winter.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts