Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think that a 2 ton floor jack would be suitable for changing tires on a 23rs? I figured if the manual tongue jack ( rated 2000 lbs. ) is ok , then a 4000 lb. floor jack would be ok. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Well, the tongue jack is only lifting the tongue wgt, which on my 26RS is around 600#. I would imagine the the 2-ton unit would work though. You just need to figure what each wheel is carrying. For a 5000# trailer, it will be somewhere in the 1250# range, give or take a few pounds for loading differences. Well within the 4000# capacity of the floor jack.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
Yes it should be since some of the weight will be transferred to the other wheels on the ground while you jack up, similar to a jacking a car. Just beware if your jacking on pavement such as your driveway and it is warm out, those little metal jack wheels can leave indentations in the driveway, I put a board underneath to prevent this. Also, chock the wheels on the other side to prevent the trailer from rolling while you are jacked up. When jacking my truck, I also throw a cinderblock under the axle while the tire is off just in case something shifts and it falls off, that way the axle won't hit the ground.

If you're still unsure, read the manufacturer's directions.

Good luck

Kevin

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Everyone stay safe this summer. I want to thank our vets, reserve, active members and their families for their contributions to our country.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts