Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You hear of people damaging their new RVs on their first outing, due to nervousness, inexperience, ignorance, or what ever. Listen to this tale of destructon.
Not of my doing.
We bought our ,then, new '03 Outback late last summer. We were excited. It was the 7th day after we took it home from the dealer. That was the only milage on it. About 40 miles. We had it all set up in the driveway. We had decided to spend the night in it. "Camp" in the driveway. Our daughter was really excited about it. We had gone and bought a TV/DVD player combo for the TV shelf. However, when we got it in the RV, it didn't fit the shelf. 3/4s of an inch too tall. Well it was time for the local news to come on so we went in the house to watch. We decided to do the driveway camp the next night after finding a TV that would fit. 10 minutes after we went in, while watching the news, we here tires screaching out front and some shouting at the same time. I jumped up to see what was going on. We're talking about a period of maybe 8 seconds here. As I'm opening the door, I here the crash. My truck is parked on the street close to a corner. I was expecting to see IT smashed. That would have made a little more since than what I saw. A PUNK TEENAGER drove a car into the front of my new Outback. A couple of neighbors were out as quick as I was. One brat bailed out of the car and took off for the house where the PARTY was 2 doors down. The young girl that was driving the car was freaked out. Just kept saying "oh my god" with her hands over her mouth. Her BOYfriend, who was in the front yard of the 'party house' and witnessed the event, came down and escalated things further. While trying to calm things down, these punks started telling me to get away. They didn't want to talk to me. After finding out there were no injuries to anyone, I started telling them how we were just in the RV and my daughter was in the top bunk right where the car hit. That it was brand new and we hadn't even spent a night in it yet. The boy came up to me and quietly asked me if there was any way that we could tell the police (who had already been called) that he was driving.... NO,, I don't think so. Well, soon the parents started showing up. The girl's parents were not going to claim responability. The boy's parents were nice folks, but had nothing to do with the car. The boy's Grand parents had bought the car for him just the day before and the insurance had just become active earlier the same day of the accident.
This is taking more space than I thought it would. Bare with me. It's almost over.
The boy gave the keys to the girl for a joy ride. She was clearly speeding on the wrong side of the road while showing off to friends at the party house. She looked up and there was an oncoming car and she froze. Locked the "faulty" antilock brakes and turned into my driveway. She denied all of this, even while looking at the 45' skid marks. Knocked the RV back about 4' even with the wheels chocked. Slammed it into the house which pushed the bed slide in about 2'. The front of the RV had about a 12"x12" hole punched in it. The couch was partially crushed. The brand new gutters on the house were crushed. She missed the propane bottles by about 10 inches. I could go on and on, but this post is long enough. You wouldn't believe what went on with their insurance company. Unbelievable things in the few months that followed. Well, I'm sure you're tired of reading this by now. We're happy campers now and that's the important thing. Thanks for listening.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Holy cow! glad noone was hurt, things can be repaired and replaced, people can't be replaced and don't repair as easily.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Wow, glad everyone was safe. Now I know what "the second" means in your sig!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
The important thing is no one was hurt. And like we say in my line of work, "You can't make this stuff up!"

Tim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I was just making it up. Between this event and my daughter falling out of the top bunk, I was beginning to think to myself "are we supposed to have an RV?
Are these signs of some kind"? Silly,, I know, but that's how it felt. It's been difficult to separate the turn of events from my over all satisfaction with the Outback. It seems like it's been a pain in the #@% from the beginning. After I learned to separated the crash maddness from the 2nd Outback we got,, it,s been a very nice RV with very few problems. I just hope it continues that way.
Thanks all for your replies.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Sheesh! Unbelievable! We have practice camped twice in our cul-de-sac so far. Kids love it.

As far as TV sizes go, I have already taken measurements. Also, Sams Club has a $40 DVD player that is 9" wide, 9" deep, and only 2 " high. Perfect for the camper. We will purchase two, and will put one on a new shelf in the cabinet above the sink. I will drill a hole to run the power and video cords to the TV. I will post mod photos when I finish.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Randy,

I'll be looking forward to seeing your modifications. We pick our 26RS up in April, and I will be using the spring to do any last minute personal upgrades prior to summer.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
208 Posts
Hey Randy, we just found alittle TV with a built in DVD player at Circuit City that should fit inside the space in the kitchen just right. let me know if you want any of the information on it.

Rob

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
HatCity, I uploaded a few of the basic mods we have done so far. Nothing big, and no holes drilled. I haven't got the courage to put a hole anywhere in / on my trailer yet.

And4, yes, I have looked at those DVD/TV combo units. The draw back I have found is they generally cost more than buying the two units seperately. Sam's Club has a 13" TV for around $60 and the little DVD player for $40. I don't think there is a DVD / TV combo out there for $100.

Also, with the DVD player built in to the bottom of the TV, it might be too tall to fit in the TV space in the 26 RS.

Thanks all,

Randy

·
Registered
503 Posts
YIKES!
That had to have SUCKED! This over simplifies it, but i'm going to say it anyway... "Teenagers..." Thank God that you were all out of it and that the propane did not explode. As bad as it was, it could have been a whole heck of a lot worse. I am sure you all were counting your blessings!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts