Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those wondering, this is what front delam looks like..........

Our outback is 8 years old and it started last spring. We probably won't do anything about it, I don't think we'll get back out what we put into it if we repair it.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Can you share some details such as possible leaks or changes in storage methods?

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't changed any storage methods, it's been covered every year since we bought it from october to april with an adco brand rv cover. I haven't found any leaks and I'm pretty particular about maintenance, check the roof caulking at least twice a year as well as the clearance lights.

Looking at the front, the right clearance light leaked when we first bought the trailer causing a small amount of delamination around the light. It was dried out and resealed and the delamination has been confined all this time to right around the light and never got any larger. The newer delam is mostly in the middle of the panel and there's some at the top but neither spot is near the marker light. I remember some talk a while back about covers possibly trapping moisture and heat causing delamination and I guess that may be a possibility. The front was fine when I covered it up in the fall and the delamination was there in the spring when I uncovered it. But why after 7 years right in the middle of the front panel? Why not after 2 or three years? Glue got old maybe?

I'm not thrilled with it but we've decided we have too much fun camping to worry about it too much. I'll keep up with the maintenance and hopefully it won't get any worse.

Mike

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have same problem with mine...not as bad...or not as bad just yet. It started out around the light and gradually spread further down. I checked and checked and could not find any leak. Mine is 2005.

I figure as long as it is not leaking it is a matter of cosmetic. It is aggravating but it is not dysfunctional. Repair is out of the question. I have not checked into repairing, but judging from some minor repair estimates I had with my popup camper I have no doubt replacing this front panel is going to be easily 4K at the minimum if I am lucky. Even if it is replaced, there is no guarantee it will not occur again. So, I am preparing myself mentally to accept it as an investment loss and try to have as much good time out of it as I can.

One of these days if it get worse and starts leaking, I may make a few small slit to bleed out the air and perhaps inject Gorilla glue into it and screw it down. Worse case scenario, I'll install another plate of laminate or thin metal sheet over it, caulk it really good around the rim and paint the darn thing cammie. Last resort is to turn it into a deer lease residence....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just discovered several spots of delamination on the front of our camper near the top and a couple of bubbles on the side! We have a 2007 25RSS which was purchased in 2006. It is way out of normal warranty. Does anyone know if Keystone has helped out with this issue? (Dumb question, I know!) But I see old neglected campers with no delamination; I've babied ours and this happens!

·
Registered
88 Posts

Our outback is 8 years old and it started last spring. We probably won't do anything about it, I don't think we'll get back out what we put into it if we repair it.
Someone correct me if I'm out of line here, but are these "nose caps" simply a piece of Filon® wrapped around the end? Wouldn't it be an easy fix to just buy some of that, remove the original cap and lay it on top of the new, and mark/cut the holes? Then screw it back together using the original hardware. To me, that actually seems easier (and better) than drilling holes and pumping in epoxy and bracing it and then painting over the holes.

Again, I may be way off on that.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm out of line here, but are these "nose caps" simply a piece of Filon® wrapped around the end? Wouldn't it be an easy fix to just buy some of that, remove the original cap and lay it on top of the new, and mark/cut the holes? Then screw it back together using the original hardware. To me, that actually seems easier (and better) than drilling holes and pumping in epoxy and bracing it and then painting over the holes.

Again, I may be way off on that.

Kevin
[/quote]

Actually you just about covered what the dealer does when they repair the nose. They then charge 3 to 4 K for 8 hours of work and a 8 by 10 piece of sheeting.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestion on material that would be suitable for this repair?
I don't think it would be wise to use same material which is on it at this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts

So that's what it's called! We just bought an 07 31RQS and it has a similar (though less-severe) situation. I believe ours is the result of the roof sealer leaking and also that the camper was parked in FLA so moisture and extreme prolonged heat. When I bought it I figured there was likely a known fix out there or that I'd figure something out. What I have been kicking around is filling the area in-between the sheet vinyl with an expanding foam like is used when insulating older homes (already complete construction). It would seem there is a commercial grade device with a wand that could be fed down through the marker light or a new hole cut out to be plugged after the foam was injected. Any thoughts on that approach?

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found this supplier online. The material isn't all that expensive. I had also looked into replacing the front with aluminum.

Mike

·
Registered
503 Posts
I found this supplier online. The material isn't all that expensive. I had also looked into replacing the front with aluminum.

Mike
Mike,
That Filon is only 1/16" thick. I imagine if this is to be applied to the nose cap you would have to install a layer of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood for structural sub-base and then glue the Filon sheet on top of it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I just found delam on my rig this past weekend. 7 years in and care given to seams and now this ugliness.

Sounds to me like we have enough of a problem with this to create a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

Yeah, I said it.

Are you reading me Keystone? Your company is responsible for all of this poor workmanship and you are liable. You should be held liable. And with enough support, you will be held liable. Its just a matter of enough of us deciding to take it to you in our court system.

p.s.

Without Keystone $$ assistance to fix their mfg problem, there will never be another Keystone product in our (lucrative) future which more than likely will include another 3-5 more RV's.

Are you reading me Keystone?

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,592 Posts
Not to dismiss your problems, but a lawsuit will get you nowhere.

They have suppliers. It is a supplier problem, not a construction problem.

They have already stopped using that supplier.

Your warranty is up, which you should've been aware from day one, is one year bumper to bumper, excluding seals and sealant.

If you dismiss Keystone products from your future, than so be it, you are just excluding many options for yourself.

Take notice of all the other manufacturer's out there with the same problems....Forest River, Jayco, Thor, etc....

Guess you won't be buying another rv.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Your warranty is up, which you should've been aware from day one, is one year bumper to bumper, excluding seals and sealant.

If you dismiss Keystone products from your future, than so be it, you are just excluding many options for yourself.

Take notice of all the other manufacturer's out there with the same problems....Forest River, Jayco, Thor, etc....

Had a Coachman with the same problem. 6 years old when it started

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A couple questions for all of you who have had the delam problem.

1) Do you live where it gets very hot?

2) What direction is the front of the trailer facing when stored?

3) Did you use a cover? If so I am assuming that it was not inside or under a structure.

In past posts I was noticing some common circumstances on some of the delam posts. It seemed in the post I looked at, that a cover may be working like a green house and trapping heat. Could the front caps be letting go of the structure because the adhesive is getting to hot especially if the front of the trailer is facing South or East? Anyway, it's just a idea.

·
Registered
196 Posts
A couple questions for all of you who have had the delam problem.

1) Do you live where it gets very hot?

2) What direction is the front of the trailer facing when stored?

3) Did you use a cover? If so I am assuming that it was not inside or under a structure.

In past posts I was noticing some common circumstances on some of the delam posts. It seemed in the post I looked at, that a cover may be working like a green house and trapping heat. Could the front caps be letting go of the structure because the adhesive is getting to hot especially if the front of the trailer is facing South or East? Anyway, it's just a idea.
We live in southwest Ohio can be fairly hot in the summer months. My trailer faced south while parked in the driveway and never used a cover.

·
Registered
947 Posts

I did the right thing in buying a 5 year extended warranty on top of things. Like always, the problem happens after the warranty expired.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts

I did the right thing in buying a 5 year extended warranty on top of things. Like always, the problem happens after the warranty expired.
[/quote]

Not sure on your extended warranty but on others that have tried to have it replaced it was not covered "due to lack of maintenance" or "structural not covered".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts