Outbacker RV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Structural differs from faulty material, no?

Even fraudulently faulty material with so many known cases.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
That is probably one of the largest delam bubbles I've seen. The reasons really vary; Fleetwood Toy Haulers had a huge problem with this around the 2005 model year and I would say that every brand of RV has had this too. This is one downside to the smooth trailer style of RV. Heat & moisture all play a part, sometimes its leaking and sometimes its just bad materials from the factory that makes it all.

Don't just take it to one dealer talk to a few, your photos can save you from hauling it around. Get some quotes with them doing the work during the slow time of the year (i.e. late fall/Winter) and see if they will cut you a better deal.

Our local shops all charge about $100/hour, however one place about an hour away charges closer to $70/hour, and the guys know more too. It can really pay to call around. If you were close to OR or WA I'd recommend them, but alas it won't do you much good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our '05 21RS is starting to show signs of delamination around one of the front lights.

I check the chaulking and roof twice per year and having found any cracks in the sealant.
I don't store it with a cover. We only get hot weather for maybe 2 months of the year.
Stored indoors in the winter. This thing is babied. I still wax it in the fall.

This should not be happening on a 6 year old trailer. I'm very dissappointed with what I'm seeing with these trailers.
There are a lot of Outback (and other manufacturers) owners out there that are going to take an azz kicking when we try sell our trailers.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We went out looking at new trailers this past weekend and found something we liked. The salesman told us book value is 7500 but with the delam they will give us 6. Not too bad if we got 7500, kind of disappointed with the 6 though. I'm thinking of getting it fixed and keeping it for another year, looking into it now.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, i am glad i found this web site. To be honest i did not know how big this problem was until my sister traveling in yellow stone saw a 28bhs like mine with the same delamination issues. By the way it is not delamininating. I live in Maryland and after the great blizzards of 2009 i noticed the issues speading to the side walls of the camper. The front was like that when we boght the camper new. Let me explain.The outer walls are made from cardboard with the outer coating of fiberglass.I could not find any leaks like some of you have posted.I watch an episode of "how its made" and found out how the manufactures test for leaks. High volume air via fans though an open window or roff hatch. I have the luck of having a frein in the water restoration business, so the fans and moisture reading tools were not an issue. We Dryed the cmper for more than 30 days in his shop with a wide aray of techniques....he was stumped the reading droped but nota much as a normal house would have. We think is has to do with the densiy/ tight sandwich construction. During the leak test (with the interor pressurized i took afew bottles of gas leak detect to the seams on the roof and corner trim. Remember i never had any visual evedence of water or mosture inside. I only had 2 leaks but the cardboard was "wicking the mosture" hence speading it where there wer no leaks. I striped back the fiber coated front exterior (because we could NOT get it to dry after the first week. Think of a cardboard box when it gets wet.Your wrincling will get worse as the interior(inside cardboard wall)drys. I stopped the leaks with a ton (about 10 tubes for the front and back) of lap sealat. Mosture Readings now show that the interor walls are dry but it took a the summer of 2010 Sitting the hot sun. I keep a cover on it during the winter. Snow pushs down on the sealant opening tiny cracks were melting snow can seep. The outback my model year as a gully between the front fiberglass secion and the rubber roof. If the camper is level it holds water. I looked at 2005 28 bhs that is having issues with the back seal but none on the front. his roof pitched differant than my 2003. Looks as keystone was trying to correct a know situation. the back seal leaks as well witha very poor design. Soory for such a long post. I love my outback but agree keystone needs to pony on know problems with these design flaws....As for price the local dealer quoted around $2000 to reskin the camper. I will be checking into the links to buy the materals to repair this myself.Reskining will not help anything unless we address the design flaw thats causing the issue. sorry for the typo's as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A couple questions for all of you who have had the delam problem.

1) Do you live where it gets very hot?

2) What direction is the front of the trailer facing when stored?

3) Did you use a cover? If so I am assuming that it was not inside or under a structure.

In past posts I was noticing some common circumstances on some of the delam posts. It seemed in the post I looked at, that a cover may be working like a green house and trapping heat. Could the front caps be letting go of the structure because the adhesive is getting to hot especially if the front of the trailer is facing South or East? Anyway, it's just a idea.
Replying to an Old Post here but- my issue was the Arizona Heat. Had the bubbles appearing in the front nose in the afternoon and evening as the Sun hits the front but not in the mornings. I took the front off and there was an obvious moisture leak at some point in the upper left but in the center where the bubbles were appearing it was perfectly dry. By the way, it's cardboard glued to the front nose material. The two layers are very thin, possibly 1/16 in each . It's not delamination which occurs between fiberglass and the wood siding , but it's similar
. The cardboard had a dried watermark in the top corner but the rest was perfectly dry with no watermarks or other signs. You don't see the insulation in the attached pic because I replaced it, as long as I had the front end off. I contacted Fleetwood and they said the bubbles were most likely caused by the extreme AZ heat and direct sun that broke the bond of the glue between the fiberglass and the cardboard. Made sense to me since the bubbles are completely gone in the morning . So although it's ugly it's nothing to worry about. But I am tempted to drill a small hole in each bubble and try injecting epoxy if I can figure out a way to clamp it down. I may use one of those cheap hand ratchet straps from Harbor Freight to hook to the awning arm on one side and the door handle on the other side, running the strap around the front holding down on a small piece of plywood over the repair.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just from reading posts in the past, I've had the theory that some delamination can be caused by too much heat. It seemed for a while that those who were having the problem were in very hot climates, were using covers which could act as a greenhouse and trap the heat or both. Enough heat could either soften the glue or cause the wood frame to expand enough to break loose from the glue. From what the last poster said, it still fits my theory.

Reactions: Mgonzo2u

·
Registered
2011 Outback 250RS 2003 Ford F-350, V10
4 Posts
I had some side and front delam in my last rig....2009 Tahoe TH. I purchased in 2019. I'm in SoCal and so was original owner. He only covered it for first few years. Bubbling/delam was definitely from direct sun exposure. The side and front had sun all day and opposite side did not face sun and had no delam.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts