Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been living in our 2010 Sydney 32.5 Fifth Wheel since May in the Pacific Northwest. Cold snap last night - down in the teens and today no water. We had disconnected the hose and filled the tank anticipating the freeze and kept the furnace running all night around 60. We thought we had a 4 season rig here?! SO frustrated. Decal on the door proudly states "Arctic Barrier" and we were told the underbelly was insulated and ready winter. Been running the furnace all day at 75 (sweat sweat sweat) plus extra heat in the "basement" = no water. Ideas? Expected temp tonight 14.

·
Outbackers Contributor
520 Posts
Is your pump switched on?

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Not a four season trailer and the "arctic barrier" tag is just sales. That said a cold snap should not have froze everything so I suspect you may not have turned on the water pump after disconnecting the shore water as Jozway suggested. But if it is turned on do you hear it when you open a faucet?.

·
Registered
750 Posts
might also do what I did on my 295RE. heat to the underbelly was basically radiant heat from the ducting. I cut 1" diameter holes in the floor register pan sides to direct warm air to the underbelly. Luckily, in my case, one vent is between two of the grey tanks, the other between the black and fresh water tank. So the vents basically direct warm air to the tanks. Ran a indoor/outdoor thermometer probe into the belly. What I found is that if I set the thermostat to 45F at night, the belly stays at 45 or better, and during the day belly stays close to the room temp. However, before I did the mod, the underbelly was only about 10F below the inside temp, so I'm suprised you seeing anything frozen. especially since it would normally take a long time to freeze a 40+ gallon fresh water tank. What happens if you open the fresh water tank drain valve? any water come out? If it does, something else is amis.

yes, it's not a 4 season trailer, but it shouldn't have frozen last night if your in the portland area. Didn't get below freezing till 9pm or so at our house.

·
Outbackers Contributor
725 Posts
Just some thoughts noodling around:

The pump is turned on at the switch (my switches are a bank of three switches-water pump, water heater on gas, water heater on 120volts). It's "on", right?

Open up the access to the water pump. Check the lines near it--frozen? Shouldn't be--they're "inside". If they are, there's a problem. You can leave the panel off, and point your portable electric heater at the pump and pray that ice didn't trash the impeller area. If the pump is frozen solid, when it defrosts, you'll almost always spot leaks at the pump or in the nearby piping.

When you open a faucet, does the pump come on even though no water flows? If no, there's your problem unless the pump impeller area is frozen so solid that the pump can't turn.

If the pump turns, but no water flows, then a water line (or two or three) is/are frozen. That takes some serious cold for a bunch of time. www.weather.com says it got to 17 in the Seattle area Tuesday night, so if you add any wind, that's serious cold. Our TTs are not designed for serious cold like 17 degrees and wind. Members from Canada can advise what they do (other then winterize and put 'er to bed for the winter!).

Keep us informed of your findings, and good luck.

·
Outbackers Contributor
238 Posts
Wow... when you hook to direct water are you able to get water? We just went through freezing problems. Heading south from BC, weather was good so we charged the system. A few days later we had the big chill (minus 12C). We froze the water pump and the valve to the toilet, plus the outside taps. After emptying the wallet a bit, we now have everything working again. Thankfully we were able to get the hot water tank drained. The moral to our story... for travelling south... keep everything winterized till you get to the little latitudes!

Hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
494 Posts
We've been living in our 2010 Sydney 32.5 Fifth Wheel since May in the Pacific Northwest. Cold snap last night - down in the teens and today no water. We had disconnected the hose and filled the tank anticipating the freeze and kept the furnace running all night around 60. We thought we had a 4 season rig here?! SO frustrated. Decal on the door proudly states "Arctic Barrier" and we were told the underbelly was insulated and ready winter. Been running the furnace all day at 75 (sweat sweat sweat) plus extra heat in the "basement" = no water. Ideas? Expected temp tonight 14.
I'm with the others on this. I've camped in our Sydney...and even our old 'non-enclosed' underbelly camper in 20's and never had this problem.

I think we need more info. What happens when you turn on a faucet. Do you hear the pump kick in?

Arctic Barrier doesn't mean 4 season... more like 3 season. I'ts just a cold-weather package, IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts