Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you power your fridge with gas while towing?
Yes6476.19%
No2023.81%

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've heard arguments for both, now it's time to find out what my fellow Outbackers think and do.

The firefighter in me says NO, but I have to ask if anyone has seen statistics showing the number of mishaps there have been a year due to this practice.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
If you read the DOMETIC Operating Instructions...

No place in there does it say you can't travel with the fridge running on gas.
Also...If you read page 8, it specifies HOW the evaporative ammonia system works while the vehicle is in motion, indicating this is common practice.

I for one, know the dangers of LP gas. More and more vehicles on the road today are being powered by this gas as well. In my humble opinion, the only time this practice could become a danger to you is during a refueling stop. As a safety measure, ensure you turn off your gas powered appliances before attemping to pull up to a gas pump. A quick stop before approaching pumps is all it takes.

I regularly check my appliances and gas lines, and fitting to make sure they are not turned on, cracked or leaking. If I didn't feel safe...I wouldn't tow with it on.

Most times, I tow with it on. Some times, off. It will stay nice and cold for several hours, provided it was on for quite some time before hand, and you put the food in while it's cold or frozen to begin with. Those are the times I tow with it off.

Just my opinion... and I always err on the side of safety.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I've never had the need with our previous camper. I precool the fridge/freezer, I usually put in 2 2-liter bottles frozen in the freezer. When I get to my site I plug back in. Everything stays cold and frozen. So its never been an issue.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just started towing last year with the gas on but only made very short trips where I did not need to refuel.

When you say "you turn the gas off" do you mean that you go to the bottles and shut the valves or do you simply turn off the fridge?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Thanks JollyMon,

That's what I thought but I want to be on the side when it comes to gas and explosions.

"The night was filled with magic, they bid the sea goodbye
They swam into the heavens, they stayed up in the sky
And all the Island people when they wish upon a star
See the Dolphin and the Jolly Mon who tell them where they are
Oh oh oh oh, Jolly Mon sing
Oh oh oh oh, make the heavens ring"

Don't believe I can call myself a Parrothead, but I have always been a JB fan.

·
Outbackers Contributor
94 Posts
We run with the gas on most of the time to keep the food frozen as we go out west. on short trips we cool down the frig. and use the gas when we get there.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
CamperDC...
I am hopeless. Buffett tickets go on sale Saturday for Minneapolis, and I can't hardly sleep! He came throught there in 2001, and he sold out TARGET CENTER in 7 minutes. I think the PARROTHEAD CLUB will get tickets again, if need be.
Then I can rest again. You haven't seen a concert until you've seen JIMMY. It's a CARNIVAL!

Think they'll let my use my OUTBACK as "Parrothead Basecamp" in the parking lots?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I saw him in Cincinnatti two years ago and I had a blast. It was different then any concert I had seen before and I was not prepared for the parking lot or the crowd. What a trip.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for your opinions. It seems as if my suspicions are correct in that many of the fears of spontaneous detonation of the LP are not based on fact. As a professional firefighter, I don't think I have ever come upon an RV fire that was started by the reefer powered on gas. In fact, the only RV fires I can remember going to were motorhomes, where the fire started in the engine compartment.

The only time I needed to refriderate while on the road was with a rented hybrid. I pre-cooled the night before we left. Packed the fridge, then packed the trailer. It was only a 17' closed, and the way it was packed limited airflow across the propane detector, causing it to alarm. I turned the gas off at the tank to be safe, and packed the cooler with plenty of ice, but had no other issues during that week, using the gas for the stove the entire time.

It seemed it was just an airflow problem while the detector was blocked by other items on the floor.

Thanks again.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
hatcity...
I have come across a couple Motorhome fires in my day as a firefighter as well. They also started in the engine compartment, just like most other vehicle fires.

I advocate the safe use of all fuels, but find nothing wrong with traveling while the fridge is running. I do tell people to shut down the fridge while refueling, as most gas pump signs will also state. You just never know.

When I stop for rest breaks, or gas stops, I always go inside the trailer just to check on things.

·
Outbackers Contributor
584 Posts
Interesting poll.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tim,
Thanks for the poll. I had not even though of turning the fridge off when refuling. Will in the future-better safe than sorry.
Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do, only if I'm traveling for more than about an 1 1/2 hour. After my little ordeal with the outside grill quick connect vibrating loose and spewing propane everywhere. I now check it before each trip when I check the torque on the lugnuts. The owners manual even says to make sure the fridge is off before refueling.

·
Outbackers Contributor
845 Posts
I have always travelled with the Gas on. My trips to date have been fairly short generally within 1.5 to 2 hrs from home so little refueling has been needed.

After reading this, I will be certain to turn off the gas before I refuel.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used to always run with it on but recently started turning it off for trips < 3-4 hours. Stuff is always cold when we get there. I am more worried anymore about the kids turning on a knob or something when I am not looking, never happened but I am still paranoid. I wish the range knobs were more out of bumping range.

danny

·
Outbackers Contributor
418 Posts
I have always left the 'frige running while on the way to an outing. Just seemed like the thing to do.

Scott

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am like Tim I wouldn't run my LP while I am driving. I think Firefighters think twice when doing like this. I am not saying its wrong, but I would leave it on.

I ask my dealer what they thought and he said never leave it on while driving. I am him why he said its all about safety.

Does anyone know if the DOT has anything to say about leaving the tank(s) on?

Hope everyone has a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! action

1 - 20 of 23 Posts