Outbacker RV Forum banner

Geocaching With Grandson

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  California Jim 
#1 ·
We went camping two weekends in a row, first in Muscatine, IA and then in Athens State Park in MO. I bought a new GPS unit that not only does the navigation in the car but I can also download the Geocache information and it will take me to the area with topo maps. I downloaded a bunch of caches around Muscatine, but because of the rain we only did a few searches. Did enjoy the area and camping for 4 days thou. Last weekend we took our 6 yr old grandson camping and introduced him to Geocaching. The first one we found was a large cache that had a bunch of "treasure" in it. You should have seen his eyes! We explained that you had to trade to get something out of the box so of course we had to go to the store to get something for him to trade with. He helped find two more caches and if it wasn't for his little figures we would not have gotten the last "nano" caches, so he scored 3/3 that day and didn't want to quit. I could see using geocaching to get kids into the woods and historical sites to find more than just the "treasures". Happy hunting and keep on camping.

#2 ·
Got another camping trip under our belt with some geocaching and planning on camping this weekend, 4 weekends in a row! Went back to Muscatine and this coming weekend will head towards Quincy' IL on the Missouri side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.