Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I'm often alone when it comes time to hitch up the Outback. I grow tired of getting in and out and in and out until I've got the hitch just right. Unlike my Popup which I could push around, there is no way I can move the Outback.

I came across this Gizmo a while back and ordered one on Monday, of course Mr USPS didn't leave it on my door I have to pick it up

The guy only sells them on eBay for now, since he can't make them fast enough for distribution through the stores yet. if you're interested here is his Hitch Finder gizmo.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
What was the cost? It seems that it would be fairly simple to make something similar, unless the cost is low enough not to justify the efforts.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Wow, just looked at the ebay link. At $12.95, I don't think the home engineering is worth the effort. Let me know what you think after you have used it a few times Steve.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
157 Posts
I'll second that!! I hate getting in and out, in and out trying to line that stupid ball up by myself!! Waht makes it worse is that my driveway is on a hill so any movement after I put it in park throws off all my efforts.

Please do a "product review" and let us know if its any good. If so, I want one!!

Steve

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do, I'm going to test it tonight and I'll give a full review after our week long trip since we're moving a couple of times it should give me plenty of opportunity to test it out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As soon as I saw your post I went to ebay and bought one. He said he's mailing it today. Saving the wear and tear on the transmission alone is well worth the $18. (including shipping), but now my neighbors won't be entertained by watching me get in and out, in and out, over and over again. If anyone's interested I have a 1975 Evinrude 6hp outboard for sale on ebay (ends tomorrow).

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked it up, can't wait to try it out. One of my staff bought a new trailer this week too, not at Outback though
and she's ready to buy one too. I like how small if stores too. Photos and thoughts to follow...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hate to brag, but I am so good at backing up, I get it first time every time. What's all this stuff about gettin' in and out????
(hehehehehehehehe!!!!!)

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet deal, I used it to hook up tonight and only had to get out/in once! Its so basic its amazing nobody came up with the design before. Stores in my Av just fine. I have a feeling its going to be one of those items your camping neighbors drop by to check out.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I didn't need it much, mostly with the help of our exchange student, but I did use it a bit and worked great. For the prince and the peace of mind it was well worth it. I'm keeping it in the side compartment of the Av for the time being, but I'd like to find something to store it in to prevent the antenna arms from being bent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Used mine this weekend, this thing is so simple but it works great ! It just takes the guess work out of it ,(if you can't find your wife when it's time to hook up) Thanks for the heads up Y-Guy

Gary

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Just one problem with this gizmo...if your tow vehicle has barn doors...like ours. With barn doors, you can't see directly behind you.

Although, barn doors are VERY nice when hitching up bikes and skis (you can open the rear doors without removing the rack).

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Randy, I remember driving a Chevy Van with barn doors, I think (no promises though) that the distance from the door to the hitch would allow you to see the bobble heads on the gizmo.

Gary, Glad it worked for you too, that's the great things about these forums is sharing ideas and gizmos that work... or don't.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I finally got a photo of the Hitch Finder in action last week. After looking at the setup I'm not sure you would be able to see the ball if you have the barn doors on your setup, but I'll let you make that call.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NDJollyMon said:
What size electric jack do you have there?
Its a Hi-Power 3000. So far its done a fine job of raising the tongue too. Sure helps with setting the Equalizer too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts