Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are just purchasing trailers, double check your gray and black handles. On both my Outback TT (26RS) and 5th wheel (29BHS), they had the black dump handle on the gray tank and the gray handle on the black tank.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tehy've been doing that for years now. I think it's kind of a company joke. If it was an error, I think they would have corrected it by now

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
My dealer said they had seen it many times, and not just on the Outbacks. He told me that they routinly check during the PDI now, showed me how to follow the lines to be sure. Makes me really think that some employee is just having a sick sense of humor.

I say we take a vacation, find his address and use his yard as a dump station!

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Yeah, whoever knows for sure "which witch is which", please post (is black left or right on your trailer model and year).

After I dewinterize I will fill up the black tank and pull the black handle and see what happens, but I would still like to know if mine are set up correctly right now.

Thanks, Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Randy,

On our '04 26RS, the forward handle is the Black, and the aft handle is the Gray. Both handles on my unit are identicle in appearance and color, so we just put some "P-Touch" labels on them. Double checked them at the dealership by emptying one, and seeing which one was still full on the gauge.

I would hope that your '04 26RS is set up the same way.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Paul...
Great tip. I'll pick one up. Maybe I'll just get the flushing type.

My handles were labeled right:

Forward: BLACK
Aft: Gray

(2003 25 RSS)

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
If you're going to pick up a clear one get a Flush King, works great and you can watch it until runs clear.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Mine were also labled wrong and still are. The front is black and the back is gray. I spray painted the gray handel gray so I could see which one I was pulling. Great idea about the clear elbow. Kirk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I knew about that when I purchased my unit (25RSS), back in June. I inquired with the dealer at the walk through and he assured me that they were tested and correct. 1st camping trip...Wrong...YUCK,
, peeled the stickers off at the dump station and corrected. I suggest testing it before a suprise.

Peace.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yep, our handles are bass ackwards too

Great idea of painting the gray tank handle gray! sunny
I think we be using that one, Thanks

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
After learning that the front is black, I had to take a 5 minute trip to the storage place and check mine. Wow! The jokester at Keystone must have been sick the day my camper was made. Mine are labeled correctly.

You know, it makes sense. The bathroom is toward the front of the trailer. Would be fair to assume the black tank is not too far away.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,212 Posts
Ours is correctly labeled as well. We held our breath when we pulled to handle marked gray and it was the right "stuff" that came out. Hooray! Do you think they finally found the culprit? He/she probably got a promotion or something.

·
Outbackers Contributor
208 Posts
Just picked up our 26 rs yesterday and during pdi we checked the lines, they had a grey handle on the black tank and a black handle on the grey tank, switched them and considered this my first mod. does that count?
Rob

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
You bet it counts!

I guess one thing at Keystone is for sure... they are consistent... even if it is consistenly WRONG. LOL

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
On my new 28BHS the grey is forward and black aft. Looks like the dealer added their own labels. Easiest way to check is just dump a few gallons down the toilet and see which valve handle makes it come out.

Any Mod is considered a Mod. No matter how trivial it is. And4togo, check to see if your hot and cold water lines are connected properly, mine were reversed (hot out the cold). I wonder if they consistently reversed this also.

Kevin

G

·
Well, I won't even give them credit for being consistent. My grey tank had an unpainted handle, and my black tank had a black handle. All of my hot and cold water faucets were connected properly. Am I being cheated out of a complaint???
On the '04 25FBS, the grey handle is forward, and the black handle is aft.

I'll second the recommendation for the "Flush King", for more reasons than one

Happy camping,

Gary

·
Outbackers Contributor
208 Posts
Thanks Kevin for the info, i checked and everything seems to be hooked up ok.
Rob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts