Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about everyone else, but when we break camp I use a Flush King to clear our my black water tank. The only problem has been I needed to block the toilet or have my wife hold it open so we could vent the air pressure build up. Surfing around tonight I found a great $5 gizmo that will solve that problem, I found it over at Campers Choice, check out the Johnny Chock.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I use a flush king too, works great to clean out the black tank.

The black and grey tanks are vented up thru the roof, there shouldn't be any pressure building up.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on FLUSH KING and the competition. Haven't decided whether or not to even bother with them. I just end up running lots of water down the toilet to flush.

Do you think they are that necessary?

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Pete,

I didn't use one until halfway thru the season last year. I would just fill the tank a bit after emptying to flush it out. I put it on, emptied the tank and had to backflush and fill it four times to get it to run clear. Since then it takes just a couple to get it clean. There's a lot of "stuff" that stays up in the tank that the backflush helps remove. I think it works well.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I should probably invest in one. My biggest "DUMP" problem was not using enough water. Now, I make sure there is plenty in there beforehand. More liquid, the better!

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
I balked at the price, but it works.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I've seen that I like better than the flush king would be to install one of those internal tank sprayers that you hook up to spray clean. The Flush King works good, but back filling 28 gallons is going to take a while. I don't really care to drag a hose in through the camper, so this Johnny Chock will be one way I can empty the water tank while draining the blank tank.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
I'm really not clear on the need to wedge open the toilet while using a backflush device like the Flush King. Why is this necessary? I would think that the tank vent (if there is one) would handle any pressure build-up?

I have been seriously looking at picking up one of the Flush Kings. However, it shoots a beam of water straight up the middle of the dump tube. Does this make it into the black tank? Is it a straight shot into the black tank? This nagging question is what has stopped me so far.

Thanks for your replys

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Jim

That's what concerned me was the elbow in the pipe not letting the water get up into the tank with any force. The Hydro Flush works that way because it has no valve but the flush king has the gate valve which lets you fill the tank completely to flush it out.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim the gizmo may not needed in our Outback, maybe our Kiwi had venting issues. But When I was filling from the outside my wife would check to see how full the tank was, when she opened the toilet it usually had some pressure built up. The gizmo would allow to keep the valve open and check, plus allow additional water to drain out of the tanks and fill the black tank.

The ability to back fill the tank is what makes the Flush King great. Even after a complete draining I'll back fill the tank once and then less amounts until the drain water is clear.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I need a little help here. Where do you guys flush your black tanks when you use the Flush King? At the house? At the dump station?

If at the house where is the waste going? Of couse this question is for those of us who do not have full hookups at the house.

Also, the dump stations that I use do not have a standard garden hose hookup. And if they did it would seem to me that it would take a long time to dump. What about the folks behind you waiting to dump?

I have been having problems with flushing out my black tanks but I am not sure where to do it.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
We try to always get full hookups and then I flush at the site, I don't have hookups at home. The few times I've used a dump station, Ill just dump and flush it out another time.

I've had some trouble dumping on occasion but it was because the hookup to the sewer was too high and there wasn't enough pitch on the hose to get good flow.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most of the time I've had hook up sites, so I can take my time dumping. Generally I try to avoid leaving during the rush at a CG, that way I can take the time to clean the tanks well. But the few times I've been in the crowd I just dump, and do a partial backflush and get going. At home we have a sewer clean up trap,and I created a 15' PVC extension that I can drain to and then store on the side of the house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts