Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at different ways of hauling a 13' Ocean kayak. I was wondering why you couldnt build a support system under the belly of a 5th wheel and mount it between the tires and the front of the camper. I could screw into the frame system of the trailer and build a support sysytem that the kayak could slide into. once in place use tie downs hooked to eyebolts in the frame and tighten up untill the kayak is nice and tight up against the bottom of the trailer. I only have one kayak at the moment but i see no reason why two kayaks wouldn't fit side by side. If anyone has seen this done or know why it couldnt be done please let me know. My tailer is the Outback sydney edition 36ft fifth wheel.

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
I'd never put my Ocean kayaks under the trailer. Too much stuff on the roads that could bounce up and hit them.

I have mine over the cab of my truck. This might be a bit too far back and would interfere with your trailer. However, you could get a support arm that would attach to a front bumper and then the front of the kayaks would rest on that and the rear of the kayak would rest on the cab of the truck.

Or even easier...how about inside the Outback. A buddy of mine does that, but it is a bit tricky getting them (yes 2) in and out.

Here is my setup.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im looking at different ways of hauling a 13' Ocean kayak. I was wondering why you couldnt build a support system under the belly of a 5th wheel and mount it between the tires and the front of the camper. I could screw into the frame system of the trailer and build a support sysytem that the kayak could slide into. once in place use tie downs hooked to eyebolts in the frame and tighten up untill the kayak is nice and tight up against the bottom of the trailer. I only have one kayak at the moment but i see no reason why two kayaks wouldn't fit side by side. If anyone has seen this done or know why it couldnt be done please let me know. My tailer is the Outback sydney edition 36ft fifth wheel.
Kelly

We used a Yakima Roof rack on our F250 Superduty when we hauled our Sunnybrook 5th Wheel, they make a removable roof rack system for most trucks and I would have a couple ropes to the brush guard on the front bumper just for added security, hauled it many miles without ant mishap, and you can keep an eye on it while traveling, I don't think I would explore the under trailer idea either as stated.

Keith

·
Registered
842 Posts
I don't own a kayak but a web search gave me a possible answer to your post. This Could Work My personal favorite is the triple.
I want to see that rig back up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't own a kayak but a web search gave me a possible answer to your post. This Could Work My personal favorite is the triple.
I didn't realize that was even legal. I would be intimidated just taking corners never mind backing up!

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
I didn't realize that was even legal. I would be intimidated just taking corners never mind backing up!
[/quote]

It is only legal in a small handful of States...check with yours before trying.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A few states allow it but restrictions are crazy. Although I'd be crazy to pull two RVs even if I could. This site gives some good info for the brave/foolhardy/gotta-push-the-envelope types. Pull Your TT and Boat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts