Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, back to the grind. We returned home from Lake Texoma yesterday. Didn't catch any fish but I really didn't care. My daughter would rather play with the worms and minnoes anyway. Lots of fossil finding with my little one. We had loads of firewood so the campfires were great. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Outback performed without problems. The only bad thing was the drive back. Had about 20 to 30 mph. cross and head winds. I NEED A DUAL CAM. The friction sway control helped, but wasn't quite enough. It was a tough drive. The Bullseye sat' dish mount was super. EASY set up. Also weighed in for the first time as we were headed out fully loaded. I'm going to have to study up on this subject. The scales were separated into three sections. One for each set of axles. The results were,, Steer Axle 2860#, Drive Axle 3140#, Trailer Axle 4640#, Gross Wt. 10640#. On the trailer weight of 4640, is that the actual trailer weight, or would I have to add tongue weight to that as it was hitched to the truck at the time? The truck is rated at 6900# tow capacity. The sticker inside the door of the truck reads GVWR 6050#, Front GAWR 3100#, Rear GAWR3200#. Guess I need to do some math on this. Well, I didn't mean to get long winded here. It was a wonderfull and relaxing trip. I highly recommend the Bullseye dish mount and I can't wait to go again. Didn't get pictures of "the rig" because the weather here wouldn't allow me to wash anything before we left. We have another 6 days at Lake Ray Roberts coming up on the 19th of this month. CAN'T WAIT. Happy camping everybody.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Glad you had a great trip. I can't wait 'til the weather up here in New England gets a little warmer, Should be picking up the 26RS next week (I hope) and I want to use it.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Glad you had a good trip, we're headed out in a few weeks to the outer banks, can't wait.

In answer to your question, your trailer weight of 4640# needs to have the tongue weight added to it. If you were to weigh your truck with just your family, gear and gas and subtract that from your reading hooked up to the trailer, that number would be the tongue weight. Or, the reese instruction book gives you a method of weighing the tongue using a bathroom scale. Might not have enough tongue weight if the drive was squirrely. Could be a combination of P rated tires if you don't have LT's and not enough tongue weight.

By your readings, looks like you are 50# under your gross vehicle weight on your truck.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Welcome back. Glad you had fun...even though I can't camp!

I gotta get my rig to the scales. I meant to do it last season!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts