Outbacker RV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
OMG that is awesome ...Great Picture!
I can't wait to go in it when it's snowing!
Just wondering were you in your bathing trunks when you took it...?

winter of 05 Rhuematoid was so bad (pain 24-7) started IV infusions and the dr ordered a hot tub. The insurance wouldn't cover it, but it was tax write off and medical. I love it especially in winter months. Short distance from front door to tub, I have thick spa robe and take my book and coffee in the morning. Heaven.

We bought ourselves a Hot Springs hot tub when we were married......21 years ago and the thing keeps on running!
Our 11 y/o son asked the local dealer what the record was for a Hot Springs and he said he had one customer with a 27 y/o tub! We love it, even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer units. I think it only runs about $10-$15/month for electricity, so very efficient and when I look at a replacement tub, the price has a strange way of calming me
If and when we start looking again it'll be a hard call between the added expense of a Hot Springs and a great deal from Costco!

Our Sundance was the best $$$$ we have ever spent. I can't live without it. We have the Altamar its 3 years old. I use it rain snow cold hot every night before bed DH is more fussy no rain or snow for him. I wear a shower cap always chemicals are bad for your hair.
The only time I don't soak is when we are away in the Outback.
Sundance has both ozone and bromine tablet, there is a large partical filter and a micron filter. The chemicals are hard on your skin but it worth every bottle of lotion.

Dawn your set up is awesome!

Anyone ever rebuilt a hot tub? I had a little problem with mine last winter, it froze up and some of the plumbing cracked. The shell is fine and the pump still works. It's an older model but I would like to pull it out and just redo all the plumbing. Anyone ever done anything like that? Advice? (besides just go buy a new one)

Tami,
I bought a solar cover for a small swimming pool that I cut four covers out of it that fit our spa. It cuts down water and chemical evaporation and helps retain heat. In the winter we just fold it back as much as we need to and it REALLY helps then to cut heat loss. You can buy them just for spas but you pay as much for one as I did to get 4 especially if you buy this time of year. If you need to, PM me and I'll tell you how I figure the size. I've also found that pool chemicals work just fine in a spa. When I last went to buy chlorine I checked the active ingredients and concentration and they were identical but the spa labeled bottle was more $$$$$.
We keep our temp at 99 in the summer and 100 in the winter. Occasionally 101. The hotter it is the less time you can spend in it. It is surprising but you can tell 1 degree difference.
I don't remember if I got out of the tub to take the photo but there is a good possibility that I had. I've been known to do snow angels before.
Bob

We just got this on this year http://www.colemanspasofdover.com/storeitems/show/3/

It is very relaxing but...the DW uses it more than I do. I sit in it and look around...grass needs to be cut, shed needs paint, Outback needs a bath and wax.....I don't have time to sit around!!!

In the summer we turn the temp down to 95* and it is OK for about 30 mins or so. Now that the nights are dropping to 55* we have the temp up to 100* and it is very nice to sit and enjoy the stars....

We are using Nature 2 and have used very little chlorine just 2 tablespoons a week and you are good!!!

Gary

Anyone ever rebuilt a hot tub? I had a little problem with mine last winter, it froze up and some of the plumbing cracked. The shell is fine and the pump still works. It's an older model but I would like to pull it out and just redo all the plumbing. Anyone ever done anything like that? Advice? (besides just go buy a new one)
You might check the message boards at Roberts Hot Tubs

We have one as well. Ours is sunken into the deck. No stair to get in

We really do not use it much during the summer months....but the winter is a different story.

Nothing beats a hot tub after a day of skiing

thor

We got our "LA spas" hot tub about 5 years ago and we love, love, love it!

It's tough to get in hot water during the dog days of summer but the rest of the year it's wonderful. Nothing like sitting in 100 degree water while it's snowing outside. We probably use it just as much as we did when we first bought it. When we bought ours, I had a doctors note stating that I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. We saved on the sales tax because of it. It's worked wonders on my hands!

We use bromine tablets in ours. It has one lounge that DH loves but I seem to always float
away in.

I bought a 10 year-old spa for $200 from a co-worker of mine almost ten years ago. It had a retro-fitted gas heater instead of the electric one which is kinda nice here where electricity is so expensive. I can also heat it up in about 45 minutes without running it 24/7. Cost me a few hundred bucks to haul it over, run gas and electric lines to it, and get a cover. The heater finally crapped out a few years ago and had to replace that, but otherwise it seems I can't kill it. Throw a little chlorine in once in a while, adjust the pH and we're good to go.

It may not be the fanciest around, with only 8 jets, but it sure gets the job done after a day pulling weeds, trimming trees, working on the house and chasing two little monsters around all day!

Discussion starter · #33 ·
We got our "LA spas" hot tub about 5 years ago and we love, love, love it!

It's tough to get in hot water during the dog days of summer but the rest of the year it's wonderful. Nothing like sitting in 100 degree water while it's snowing outside. We probably use it just as much as we did when we first bought it. When we bought ours, I had a doctors note stating that I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. We saved on the sales tax because of it. It's worked wonders on my hands!

We use bromine tablets in ours. It has one lounge that DH loves but I seem to always float
away in.
Wow you have 3 waterfalls cool. I was so thrilled with the one.

InsomniakPosted Sep 29 2007, 04:33 PM I bought a 10 year-old spa for $200 from a co-worker of mine almost ten years ago. It had a retro-fitted gas heater instead of the electric one which is kinda nice here where electricity is so expensive. I can also heat it up in about 45 minutes without running it 24/7. Cost me a few hundred bucks to haul it over, run gas and electric lines to it, and get a cover. The heater finally crapped out a few years ago and had to replace that, but otherwise it seems I can't kill it. Throw a little chlorine in once in a while, adjust the pH and we're good to go.

It may not be the fanciest around, with only 8 jets, but it sure gets the job done after a day pulling weeds, trimming trees, working on the house and chasing two little monsters around all day!

That's an awesome deal, do you have a picture? I'd love to see what it looks like compared to todays models.

OK some of you know that we had some issues this past spring & summer that made for an increase in our already stressful world.

Soooo, we decided to be good to ourselves & purchased our first Hot Tub. To help us to relax & decrease some of the stress in our lives. Let me tell you ..... this is the second best purchase we have made in recent years next to our Outback.
I highly recommend it & wish we would have thought of it sooner. Here is my son on the day it was delivered.
He loves it & has gone in it everyday since we got it last Wednesday.

All I can say is his expression ..........Priceless!!

I am curious to see how many Outbackers have Hot Tubs?
Funny you mentioned that I recieved a new krs and a new hot tub all within a week

Hi Tami,

Nice looking hot tub and a very good brand. I had one at my last house and loved it and miss it a lot. We are planing and buying one again someday and after seeing yours and everyone else's I want to go down right now and get one. I know you and the family will really enjoy it and you deserve it. One of the things I loved to do was soak in the hot tub just before bed, I then sleep like a baby, so relaxed. Congratulations

Dawn,
What a beautiful yard you have Ill bet you have a lot of fun summer parties there.

Here are some photos of our Hot tub and patio area...
DH landscaped it and built the waterfall and the 20' BBQ island with his own two hands...
The stonework was laid by the two of us...1500 square feet that took us a year to complete.

Funny story about our hot tub, for some reason bees love to build massive hives inside the steps. Last weekend we discovered they were back for a third time. DH got tired of calling a bee keeper to come and remove them to the tune of $200.00, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. He shoved the step aside with a 25 foot pole to expose the hive, then took bug bombs and taped them to the end of the pole, set them off and pushed the smoking bombs inside the steps. He managed to somehow destroy the hive without getting stung a single time and was quite proud about all the money he saved. Wish I had gotten photos of it, but I didn't want to be anywhere near the thing!

Dawn,
What a beautiful yard you have Ill bet you have a lot of fun summer parties there.
Thanks Bill

We do try to enjoy it as often as possible...
Stop by for a margarita next time you're in the neighborhood!

Hi Tami,

Nice looking hot tub and a very good brand. I had one at my last house and loved it and miss it a lot. We are planing and buying one again someday and after seeing yours and everyone else's I want to go down right now and get one. I know you and the family will really enjoy it and you deserve it. One of the things I loved to do was soak in the hot tub just before bed, I then sleep like a baby, so relaxed. Congratulations
Thank You Bill,

That is very kind of you to say. It has been a wonderful family time gathering every night in the Hot Tub.

The only problem is our son thinks this replaces a "real" bath, probably b/c it is so warm. I believe he thinks we are all taking a family bath & then going to bed??
He is getting confused when I want to wash him up in the shower afterwards.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.