Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Husky Centerline hitch has just failed on me. The two discs that mount between the sway springs and the bar mounts both broke into pieces, on the road. No problem getting the parts replaced at a dealer who was local to the camp ground, at no cost. He was very helpful and sent me to a local garage to have them use the air gun to transfer over the new head. The dealer even took the broken head assembly, and told me that he would look after sending it back to Husky. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so was it corrected as easily. One thing that concern me is that when I phoned our dealer on Friday evening, I didn't even get it all out of my mouth, and he finished my sentence, asking if the discs had broken. he told me that he has sold four Centerlines so far this year and this is the second that has failed that he is aware of, the other poor guy's broke in Georgia, no that big a deal unless your from Southern Ontario...

I'm wondering if this is a known problem with a flaw in the steel, and if so, if Husky will do a recall on the hitches.

I'm not looking to throw darts, because the local dealer fixed me up real fast under warrantee. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Luckily we were on a short weekend trip (1-2 hours travel time), but I wouldn't want to loose all sway control on a longer trip, especially with a bad cross wind.

Thanks

Jim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,524 Posts
Hmm, not sure about that particular hitch, but many of them are a special Iron referred to as ADI (Austempered Ductile Iron). It is a high grade iron that gets special heat treatment to improve the microstructure. If it is this, I'm wondering if they had a bad batch....

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Most hitch heads are cast, I would bet they would have to have heat treatment. Let us know what you hear back.

Carey

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most hitch heads are cast, I would bet they would have to have heat treatment. Let us know what you hear back.

Carey
The actual head assembly is real solid, I think it would take an atom bomb to dent it. These two discs slide into the head and provide wear points for the sway arms, and a means of shimming up the sway. It almost looks like the "weakest link" in the whole unit. I'm hoping there was simply a bad batch.

Jim

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
There is a lot of experience on this web site and I am not sure we know exactly what part you are referring to. Can you post pictures of the failed part?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just left the local RV dealer today where the sales staff were discussing a fix for the Centerline Hitch defect. They said that they had just received a shipment of parts to fix them. Must be a known defect. Had something to do with the parts not being tempered correctly as I recall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a lot of experience on this web site and I am not sure we know exactly what part you are referring to. Can you post pictures of the failed part?
Here are a few pictures of the hitch. The last one shows the new disc beside the one that broke (that's all that was left of both discs).

DSC01496.jpg DSC01497.jpg DSC01498.jpg DSC01499.jpg DSC01500.jpg

Attachments

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,524 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. That's an interesting hitch design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Husky Centerline hitch towing an Outback 210RS 2011 Model. I will check with my dealer about defects in the pressure plate that broke on your hitch.

I pulled a tent trailer for 20 years behind a Suburban. If there was sway, I didn't notice.
This trailer is 8 feet wide and three times the weight or more. I was paranoid of driving it and the blogs talked about sway and white knuckle driving. I concluded from the blogs that the Equalizer was a good answer and I was about to buy one when I heard about the Husky Centerline. I liked the idea of forcing the trailer to stay centered rather than reacting to sway by damping it. Well, I have had the trailer on the road about 5 times. I've been passed by large trucks, driven on windy roads and in cross winds. Guess what? NO SWAY and NO WHITE KNUCKLE DRIVING. Just they way I wanted it.

I do have a SAFETY WARNING for anyone who gets this hitch.

When you remove the spring bars, make sure the tow vehicle and trailer are reasonably straight. If not, the stored energy in the trunnion springs will swing the spring bar out very fast and far enough to hit you if you stand in the wrong place. I don't believe any other anti-sway weight distributing hitch will do this. The manual tells you where to stand but my truck was at an angle because of the tight placement of the trailer in my driveway. When I used the provided wrench to lift the spring bars off, the bar swung out about 18 inches very fast. It startled me. It would have broken my leg easily if I was standing one foot closer. I plan to always straighten the tow vehicle and the trailer or take the springs bars off before I back in a tight place.

FYI. Payed $650 + tax for it from a local dealer in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Husky Centerline Web Site URL http://www.huskytow.com/FTP/HuskyFeaturedProducts/HuskyCenterLine/Featured_CenterLineHitch_hv.html

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It looks like the washers dont hurt the integrity of the hitch. Cool design. Hopefully they will get it right.

Carey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have any information on how this turned out? I just bought one of these hitches last week, and one of the pressure plates broke before I arrived home (about 15 miles). My dealer replaced it, and I left to camp that evening. When I arrived at the campsite (about 20 miles) the other side was broken. I e-mailed Husky, and have no reply as of this posting. Any info would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have any information on how this turned out? I just bought one of these hitches last week, and one of the pressure plates broke before I arrived home (about 15 miles). My dealer replaced it, and I left to camp that evening. When I arrived at the campsite (about 20 miles) the other side was broken. I e-mailed Husky, and have no reply as of this posting. Any info would be appreciated!!
Did the dealer replace your plates with plates from another Centerline unit? Or were these plates installed to resolve the issue (like a service or replacement kit)?

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
With all the breakage these new hitches sound a bit fragile.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Luckily another dealer replaced the whole head which included the pressure discs. A little disappointed in Husky. Our dealer called and left a message on our phone saying that Husky would be getting in touch to arrange a repair. As of yet I haven't heard from Husky, and the dealer left the message about three or four weeks ago. The dealer who replaced the part simply gave me another head from another box, it was not parts sent to the dealer to deal with a defect. I have used the hitch for two trips since the failure without incident.
The hitch does work great, keeps the trailer as straight as an arrow, with no affect from passing trucks.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hitchguy, The dealer just replaced it with a part from another hitch. That side held up, and the other side broke that same day. Like Jim I'm still waiting for a reply from Husky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hitchguy, The dealer just replaced it with a part from another hitch. That side held up, and the other side broke that same day. Like Jim I'm still waiting for a reply from Husky.
Got it. Thanks. I am waiting to see what happens to the plates when they are replaced with some kind of service kit from Husky. Will those fail too, or will it solve the problem for good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hitchguy, Just recieved a call from my dealer, and Husky has sent them a new improved replacement head for my hitch. he told me that the pressure plates are beefed up in the new model. I pick it up this Friday, and were heading out to camp next week. I'll post the results when I get back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow. This has happened to me twice with two different heads. The dealer replaced the first one with out question and now after my second short trip with the new one it happened again. Not really looking forward to my long trip!

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well my latest new head didn't go 20 miles without another pressure plate breaking. The Husky rep called me (after the camper dealer called him) and overnighted another new head to my camper dealer. He said that they had a prodution run of brittle metal, but all is well now. I managed to pull my camper about 20 miles without it breaking (and yes that is a record). Time will tell if I was lucky or if the problems fixed. Please post any similar experiences with repairs. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts