Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Today, we bought a 2004 F250 super cab with a 5.4L V8 and 3.73 gears. GVWR of 8800#. Let's go camping!!! After reading all the posts and talking to several 'fleet' people with Ford, I decided on the 3.73 gears to try and balance everyday fuel economy with towing ability. I came to the conclusion that 4.10 was really overkill for the size and weight of our Outback. The truck is 'Wedgewood Blue', crome wheels, XLT trim and it's so much stouter than the F150. I feel like KING OF THE ROAD. Well maybe not, but right now, I love that truck. It feels good. My daughter loves the rear sliding window. I have wanted an F250 for years, now it's here. Am I gloating??? I'm sorry,,,, I'm gloating. I don't mean to gloat,,, but I finally got an F250 today. I'm sooo ready to tow somewhere.

Ok, I think it's out of my system now. Thanks for listening.

It even has a "Trans Temp" guage in the instument cluster. SWEEEEET !!

James

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Congrats on the new rig! I know that feeling, I still get it everytime I drive my Av!

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Enjoy many happy miles with your new ride!!!!!

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Good luck with the new truck, and congratulations.

Tim

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know just what you feel. I went from 1/2ton extended cab 4.8 2wd. Now I have a 3/4ton crew cab 6.0 4wd. Life is GREAT!!!! Now if my kids ask for sand for the sandbox I can bring it home by the yard and not the shovel.

·
Outbackers Contributor
94 Posts
James I also have a 250 super duty 5.4 and it pulls my 28frls with no problem. It's a little slow in high winds and in the mountins I have been getting 9mpg with this setup not good but not to bad.
Ken

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, some of my excitement has turned to frustration. Noticed a noise in the steering of the new 250.
Sparing you the longer version, it turns out the steering gear box has to be replaced.
Two days in the shop and the part hasn't come in yet. Went to dealer today and got the truck. It's ok to drive. It just needs to be replaced in the near future. Supposed to check back tomarrow to see if part has arrived.
WHAT A BUMMER.
I wish these dealers realized (and in some way compinsated for) what a pain it is to rearrange the majority of your day when they say things like "just bring it on in and we'll take care of it". Two days with one vehicle and I have to take it back AGAIN tomarrow (if the part comes in). Give me some free accessories or PAY me for my time. It's a brand new truck for goodness sake.
Just venting.
Thanks for listening again.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Don't wait for them to offer, tell them! I had to run back with my Avalanche, not a big deal but did waste my time on something that should have been checked out before delivery. I ended up getting a years free oil changes and years free car wash

Then they had told me they would cut me a great deal on running boards and sell them to me at cost, sounded great. Then I called one of the dealers that supported the Avalanche forum and his price was a couple hundred less
I told my dealer what I thought of his "at cost" I ended up getting a couple Av goodies, but I still bought the boards from the other dealership!

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
KJ,

Sorry to hear about the F-250 problems. But, you know what they say...

FORD = Found On Road Dead

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily

Of course, Ford advocates will say:

FORD = First On Race Day

Randy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I will press the issue. Perhaps a billet grill. Free oil changes for a year at the very least.

Randy, OUCH. Those words sting.

Don't forget,
FORD.....Flip Over, Read Directions

FORD.....Fine Old Rebuilt Dodge

You know that GM people came up with those sayings to make themselves feel a little better when they realized the error they made by perchasing GM products, but were too stubburn to admitt it.

I'm kidding.
Really. This forum is a friendly place. Please, no Ford, Chevy, Dodge wars. I respect GM as well as other auto makers,,,, sort of.

I really am only joking here. So much is lost with interpretation when you can't hear tone of voice or see light hearted gestures. All in fun.

James

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Oh, I was joking too. No worries. I have owned several Fords...a Mercury Tracer, a Ford AeroStar, and a Ford Windstar. Tracer was my wife's car, she liked it. Aerostar was our first family van, ran just fine. Windstar drove like a car.

But...the Aerostar leaked oil, and the Windstar had all kinds of problems.

Everyone buys and drives what they like. The way it should be.

Randy

·
Registered
159 Posts
James,

I've been looking at the possiblity of upgrading my Trailblazer to a Chevy 2500 or a Ford 250. Did you get yours from dealer stock or custom order it? Did you get 2WD or 4? What was the final verdict on price? Can you give me a ballpark on what you paid?

I'd really like to get the 4.10 gears myself and limited slip in a 2WD version.

Hopefully the unexpected service needs on your new truck will be minimal and only routine things.

Michael

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
James,

It just goes to show you, the dealership service department is many times more important than a brand name, whether it is a Ford Pickup, or an Outback TT. Sorry to hear about the steering box. Good luck with your negotiations.

Tim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Michael,
We got the 2wd version from the dealer stock. The window sticker said 31k with the options it has. We get some discounts through my employer. That and the Ford insentives brought the price around 27,500. Of course we HAD to have a few 'goodies' added. Step bars, Toff spray in bed liner, fog lamps, etc. We also went with the 6 yr./ 75,000 mi. warranty. We plan to keep it for a while ( I hope). I was wanting the 4.10 gears too, but after seeing how the 5.4L V8 with 3.73 gears effects the milage, I'm glad I didn't go 4.10. Haven't calculated the actual milage yet, but it's noticably more than the 4.6L / 3.55 that we had before. As for the service needs, this is (I think) the 8th new truck I've bought from Ford and only 2 of them have had problems. Until now. Hopefully after this is resolved, it will be smooth sailing. My steering parts haven't arrived because of the supplier. Not the dealer. One other thing,,,, GO WITH THE FORD F 250. Good luck with which ever brand you coose. Like Tim said, the quality of the dealership means more than the name brand quite often.

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for their light hearted nature. I can be a bit of a jokester and a cut up at times. It doesn't always come across that way in print. Thank goodness for emoticons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts