Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anyone,

Does someone has an idea has to how to install solar panels on the roof of my 21RS. I do not want to pierce the membrane. I was thinking of clueing them with some silicone base glue or using the AC unit as a base. Also any suggestions for running the cables down would appreciated.

Regards

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi slybarr, yes I can tell you how to install solar panels on the roof. First you have to get a couple of basics down.
1. you can not glue them to the roof because any solar panel has to have the back side exposed to air for cooling.
2. You will need several other components besides the panel they are the solar controller, blocking diodes, fuse holder, 10/2 standed wire, misc alum. channel and square stock, misc electrical boxes and connecters and the ability to solder.

Before I go any farther you need to know that you will have to drill and anchor the panels to the roof. What I need to know is where you plan on putting them in inches on the roof? How many feet is it from the back of the trailer to the battery location? Where do you plan on mounting the solar controller and fuse?

Please get back if you are still interested in doing this. It isn't that hard to do and if yours can be done like I did mine the roof will be safe and leak free. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Kirk

You got me interested. I was browsing a newspaper and found a 15watt solar panel on sale including the controller. I lost interest because I did not wish to drill into my roof... Now it is back up again

The wiring is no problem, I just wish a few pointers before I start drilling into my roof

Thor

·
Registered
276 Posts
I installed a 100 watt panel on my roof. Just screw it down the calk the screws. I predrilled holes then calked then before putting the panel down to seal the hole, then put in thr screws and calked the heads. I used a stud firner to insure as many screws went into the aluminum studs. The wires go thru the fiberglass just in front of the membrane and into the bedroom closet then through the bottom of the closet into the passthrough andout to the batteries. I mounted the controller in the side of the bedroom closet. Its been one yoar and no leaks. My Outback is a 28BHS so i hope this gives you some ideas.

Jim

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Jim

Thanks. I went to purchase the panels and they went back to full price
The sale clerk they will come back on sale in a month or so
. So I am going to wait.

The stud finder.. no issue finding the Al studs??

Thor

·
Registered
67 Posts
How many watts do I need to tricklie charge 2 baterys? The sun shines here almost 21 hours a day here. Would a 5 watt do it, or a 15 watt sunny? we only use the furnace at night and water pump.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi DernMoose, The best way to figuire out how much power you need is to count what is on for a period of time. The propane detector, clock radio, refrig light and door heater, and any other lights will draw off the system. You want to be larger than this number.
If you want to guess you will be in the 150 to 200 watt range for panels. For argument reasons lets use two 75 watt panels they will put out around 4 amps each at aprox 17 volts. To do this you need a charge controller capiable of handling at least 8 amps, bigger is better so you can add on if you want latter. You are in a unique area with 21 hours of daylight but not all of it is useable light because the sun will change angles and the panel output will drop. Lets say 10 hours of useable light, there are charts on the internet that will give you the correct number, but I am guessing> 10 hours x 8 amps = 80amp/hours per day , if you add another panel then> 10 hours x 12 amps= 120amp/hours per day.
I am just guessing and the number will vary depending on the panel and the useable sun light and the weather but you can get an idea as to how much power you will need by doing the math. So think BIGGER then 5 or 15 watt panels they will not be enough to keep up with your load.
Check E-bay under solar panels and solar panel also charge controller for the equippment, unless you have some kind of connection up there for the equippment. good luck Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Hi

Solar panels: A key is not to forget the controller as you venture into the higher watt panels. The higher rated panels are capable of overcharging batteries.

Thor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts