Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new tow vehicle, 2004 Ram 1500 quad cab with a 5.7 hemi, it has the towing package with a wiring harness included. Has anyone ever installed a brake controller, and how involved was it. It seems to me about all there is to it is plugging in the wiring harness and putting in a couple of screws. Let me hear from you please, I am thinking about doing this myself. I am pretty mechanical.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
If the truck is pre-wired for the controller, then that is about it. It took me less then an hour to install my Prodigy, and most of that was spent thinking about where I was going to mount it, and finding some space under the dash for the extra cable (I hate to cut wires, as you never know when you might need that extra few inches).

Make sure you read the installation insturctions that come with the controller. Some models have restrictions on mounting angles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hatcityhosehauler
I was told the newer Ford, Dodge and Chevy's all have trailer brakes prewired on there vehicles that have the Tow package with 7 pin factory installed.
My 03 yukon was, just got the wire harness that had the vehicle specific plug as well as the Prodigy plug on the other end. It took 15 min to install, 3 to mount bracket(already had factory mounting holes), 10 min to figure how to rout wire to controller, 2 min to take a drink of beer and admire the job!

RV Dealer wanted $300 bucks for brake controller and install, prodigy was $100 and wire harness was $10.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello rmayhew,

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab that was pre-wired for a brake controller and a Prodigy controller. I did not have a Dodge specfic plug but simply spliced the wiring harness for the Prodgiy into the Ram and that was it. Took no time at all and since you are mechanical you should have no trouble.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for their response and encouragement. I am going to tackle this little project this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts