Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a used one and can't wait to go camping!!! Love the set up and quality seems to be very good. Today I tried to pull the bed out myself (I was told it was very easy) Well, maybe because I'm just shy of 5 feet and not a very large person, I found it difficult. I could not get one of the side to lock in. I'm now at work and my husband said it was becuase the camper is a little slanted and not leveled. So, does the bed ony lock in properly if the RV is level?

Also..when the bed is not in the slide out position, is it safe to sit/lay on it?

Any other tips/secrets/pros or cons you want to share with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Kim

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
Just purchased a used one and can't wait to go camping!!! Love the set up and quality seems to be very good. Today I tried to pull the bed out myself (I was told it was very easy) Well, maybe because I'm just shy of 5 feet and not a very large person, I found it difficult. I could not get one of the side to lock in. I'm now at work and my husband said it was because the camper is a little slanted and not leveled. So, does the bed ony lock in properly if the RV is level?

Also..when the bed is not in the slide out position, is it safe to sit/lay on it?
We sold our 28RSS a few years ago...it was great, but we wanted something bigger. (click on the link in my sig for a long list of mods that were done to our 28RSS...might give you some ideas)

Best method for getting the bed out is to open 1 or 2 of the main doors to avoid a vacuum effect. Have the trailer level and the bed should come out fairly easy. I would pull our out about 80% of the way from behind the trailer, then I'd step under the bed and push the 20% out.

Never lay on the bed while it is in the trailer. They are not meant to hold your weight or bouncing while retracted inside the trailer.

Enjoy the new (to you) Outback!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just purchased a used one and can't wait to go camping!!! Love the set up and quality seems to be very good. Today I tried to pull the bed out myself (I was told it was very easy) Well, maybe because I'm just shy of 5 feet and not a very large person, I found it difficult. I could not get one of the side to lock in. I'm now at work and my husband said it was because the camper is a little slanted and not leveled. So, does the bed ony lock in properly if the RV is level?

We sold our 28RSS a few years ago...it was great, but we wanted something bigger. (click on the link in my sig for a long list of mods that were done to our 28RSS...might give you some ideas)

Best method for getting the bed out is to open 1 or 2 of the main doors to avoid a vacuum effect. Have the trailer level and the bed should come out fairly easy. I would pull our out about 80% of the way from behind the trailer, then I'd step under the bed and push the 20% out.

Never lay on the bed while it is in the trailer. They are not meant to hold your weight or bouncing while retracted inside the trailer.

Enjoy the new (to you) Outback!!!
[/quote]

Thanks for the info and the pics. I have a yellow lab too and I was thinking that her sleeping arrangement should be right were your dog is sleeping!

Currently, our camper is not level so I'm glad to hear that was my problem. My husband just called me and said he was dewinterizing the unit and there was no antifreeze in the water heater, just some water and it smelled real bad. Hope that's not an issue. Off to read the manual tomorrow!

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
................... My husband just called me and said he was dewinterizing the unit and there was no antifreeze in the water heater, just some water and it smelled real bad. Hope that's not an issue. Off to read the manual tomorrow!
Have him rinse it out...could use some bleach water...but make sure it gets rinsed out well.

BTW...you don't put antifreeze in the hot water tank. There should be a by-pass value that allows you to put anti-freeze in the water lines, but not the hot water tank. Just empty the tank from outside the trailer before each winter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
................... My husband just called me and said he was dewinterizing the unit and there was no antifreeze in the water heater, just some water and it smelled real bad. Hope that's not an issue. Off to read the manual tomorrow!
Have him rinse it out...could use some bleach water...but make sure it gets rinsed out well.

BTW...you don't put antifreeze in the hot water tank. There should be a by-pass value that allows you to put anti-freeze in the water lines, but not the hot water tank. Just empty the tank from outside the trailer before each winter.
[/quote]

Hmmm....maybe I misinterpreted the antifreeze part. Thanks for the advise. I will relay the information to him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Important tip for putting the slide back in: Have someone inside to make sure you are pushing it in evenly, If it cocks to one side or the other it will come out of the ceiling track and is a major pain in the butt to get back in. Found that out the hard way. Also, I wax the inside track of the supports outside and it seems to roll much smoother.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Important tip for putting the slide back in: Have someone inside to make sure you are pushing it in evenly, If it cocks to one side or the other it will come out of the ceiling track and is a major pain in the butt to get back in. Found that out the hard way. Also, I wax the inside track of the supports outside and it seems to roll much smoother.
Sounds like a great tip. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Also, check your outside support rails as one will be marked "R" for the right side. It's stamped on the aluminum part that isn't painted. It doesn't make a huge difference if you get them switched, but one side may be adjusted a little higher or lower and will make it a bit more difficult to move the slide in and out. I usually unscrew the inside clamp knobs a good bit and shove the slide out with my shoulder while tightening the knobs, alternating from side to side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't think to check the poles. Great advice. Just made our 1st camping trip for June 3rd weekend. Can't wait to get comfortable with the camper and figure it all out!

·
Administrator
18,056 Posts
I didn't think to check the poles. Great advice. Just made our 1st camping trip for June 3rd weekend. Can't wait to get comfortable with the camper and figure it all out!
I hated looking for that small "R" on the rail. I took some red spray paint and painted the tip of the "R" rail. After that, I knew which was which as I was pulling it out of the trailer. Seemed easy to me....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oregon Camper gave you the good info. OPEN the doors!! When I first got home with my 210RS I went to open the slide and fought it like crazy. I thought something must have happened on the way home. Then I read something on this web site about the opening the door and problem solved!! The slide moves in and out with no problem as long as the door is open.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I checked the poles today and that "R" was hard to find. By luck, I did have the poles in the right position. (that is if the right is when you are facing the back of the camper
)

Spay paint it is a great idea, I just so happened to have some hot pink paint!

Also...I only had the bunk side doors open and not the ones closest to the bed. Another great tip to know!

Thanks
Again

·
Registered
358 Posts
We use to have a 28rsds and being level is the key. The other thing to check periodically is the bolts on the brackets that the pole clip into, they something work loose. My wife biggest nightmare was if one of the poles fell off whilst we were sleeping in it!

We also use to have a bracket/leg that we put under the edge of the bed when it was inside for extra support while traveling and it also enabled us to be able to climb on the bed as well to make it without having to pull it out

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts