Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grounds are old and run down. Most sites are too short and way to close to each other. The rates are high and misleading. They post their rates on the website put in very small print at the bottom that they charge additional rates for every counted person in your party including children. I originally reserved a spot for one night at $29.00 but I registered my wife and 2 children and the final bill came to $47.00 dollars a night. I paid for all of those who generally lie about the number in the party or the ones who come in after the office closes and never have to pay. All of this added insult to injury after waking at 3:00 am so some idiot could warm is diesel up and pull out 35 mins later. Only after getting to sleep after the first idiot I was awaken this time by the idiot on the other side of my trailer throwing up several times outside of his trailer. That was my last time at the KOA Nashville, of course I wrote a letter describing the whole thing back in Nov 2003 and have never heard a response.

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I had a similar one at a KOA. Same issues...misleading pricing, small sites, no privacy. I steer clear of KOA's now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stick to state parks and federal lands unless you have a personal recommendation from someone. Also ask if the CG has permanent campers. KOA near me has people living there in really trashy trailers etc..It' disgusting so I steer clear of KOA too. I only go there to buy propane.

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Hi

Any comments on Canadian KOA's?? We usually stick with the provincial parks but they are getting difficult to get in. Killbear Park, we had to make reservations 5 months ahead

Thor

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Joe thanks for the heads up. We stayed in Yakima last year and drove past the KOA on our way in/out each day and I kept thinking how trashy it looked. Though I'll admit some of the sites right on the pond looked nice... until I noticed how packed in they were along with the permanent broken down campers.

Thor it's hard to say. There are two KOA's that I know of that are top notch, the rest that I know of are like the ones previously described above. I always laughed at the one in Stockton, CA claimed it was close to the mountains and to San Fran.... yeah a 2 hour drive to each LOL. I think the tip above about asking if they have permanent campers is one way to identify the possible bad ones. Some campgrounds that allow permanent campers are setup well and they are separated enough that you don't know it. Between all the various forums you may want to search for the KOA and city name to see if you can find anything out on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hear alot of good things about the Niagara Falls KOA, although I have yet to stay there. Hmmmmm, I think I have another excuse to go camping!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Thor,

I will have a full report after our July trip to the 1000 Islands region. The wife made reservations at the Ivy Lea KOA in Ontario. At least the pictures on the web site look good.

Last year we stayed at the Bar Harbor KOA in Maine, and it was fine. I would go back again.

Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
We stayed at a KOA last year in Staunton, Va., one of the cleanest, well run campgrounds I have ever seen. Hot Tubs, clean pool, nice pull through sites, great people, stream to tube down for leisure with a waterfall plus playground for the kiddies. Great place-wish they were all like that.

·
Outbackers Contributor
548 Posts
We stay at the KOA at Twin Mountain, NH at least twice a year. We are going again this weekend. We love this place. Clean, quiet, freindly. The owners recommended The KOA at Gettysburg, PA. We stayed there last month and it was the best campground we've ever been to. Awesome pool, playground, store, laundry, and people. The KOAs which are family owned and operated are your best bet. Their websites will usually tell you who the owners are. We stayed at the KOA in Bar Harbor before it was a KOA. I liked then, it could only be better now. Maybe next year.

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
The grounds are old and run down. Most sites are too short and way to close to each other. The rates are high and misleading. They post their rates on the website put in very small print at the bottom that they charge additional rates for every counted person in your party including children. I originally reserved a spot for one night at $29.00 but I registered my wife and 2 children and the final bill came to $47.00 dollars a night. I paid for all of those who generally lie about the number in the party or the ones who come in after the office closes and never have to pay. All of this added insult to injury after waking at 3:00 am so some idiot could warm is diesel up and pull out 35 mins later. Only after getting to sleep after the first idiot I was awaken this time by the idiot on the other side of my trailer throwing up several times outside of his trailer. That was my last time at the KOA Nashville, of course I wrote a letter describing the whole thing back in Nov 2003 and have never heard a response.
My family and I just stayed at this KOA in May this year. We had a good time the workers was very friendly and helpfull, I thought. I wil say this if you want a cheap campground then I would not stay at a KOA. They tend to be on the higher side of the camping rates. Though, it has been our experience that many of the KOA's are mostly cleaner than other campgrounds. Maybe they got your letter and that is the reason we had a good time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts