Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During our 21RS PDI today, the bottom cushion of the dinette was SOAKED (I mean dripping............ seriously) They said it must've happened during washing. We got all replaced and sprayed water on the slide out from above as if raining.......No leak. If we sprayed water directly at (sideways or upward) the gasket UNDER the rear slide- it leaked into the camper onto dinette cushion...... We accepted delivery assuming rain will not flow upwards and underneath the slide out.

Should we have had that gasket changed, or do you think this is an irrelevant problem? Concerned now that after being there 8 hours (yes, Mac- we were there until 4pm!!!)- we just wanted to get outta there..................

Anyone else have underside leak?

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
We've had some water come in when putting the rear slide in after it rained or if the trailer was tipped forward while the rear slide is out. I noticed the gasket is notched (cut) where the slide support wheels are. I've always been careful with water in this area. I'm sure it would get in through there. If you're sure the water is coming from underneath and not from the side, I wouldn't be too concerned. The gutters on the sides of the slide do a good job of directing water away from the bottom.

I'm assuming you only have the leak with the slide out. If it still leaks with the slide in, I would be concerned.

If you continue to have any concerns, take it back and be persistent until you're totally satisfied. It has a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty that you paid for, whether you use it or not. I just brought ours back from the seventh warranty trip, the warranty expires next week.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Could also be that some water was on the slide out roof and when it closed it didn't get pushed off by the seal. I'd check the top seal to make sure its in good condition; no tears or indentations. Run your own tests to see if you can pinpoint the problem so you know if it is or isn't a leak from the underside.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Mine does the same thing when spraying with a hose. Part of the problem was water leaking in from the top. My support poles needed adjustment to shed water away from the upper gasket. Keep a watch on your seals, and inspect after a good downpour. If you get any water, turn it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey guys

Glad you finally got out of there. The main thing is that you need to feel comfortable. You spent a lot of $, and you deserve their attention to do whatever it takes to make you satisfied.

For what its worth, I don't think it would bother me if water got in from below, but if it is leaking when you aim water at it from the side...thats another story. We've been stuck in a couple storms while camping where the wind was blowing hard and the rain was blowing horizontal. See what others who have more experience think though.

How was the tow home?

My daughter and I slept in ours in the driveway last night. All seems to be working well so far. We really enjoyed talking to you guys yesterday. It really helped to pass the time (lots of it). We'll keep in touch here.

See you later.

·
Outbackers Contributor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tow home was OK- once we turned OFF the Overdrive on the truck. Whoops.......

Next weekend we go to the shore for our first trip!

I'm positive the water came in the underside only and when hose was pounding it. Will see what happens in rain.......

Great to meet you guys too Mac- funny to meet someone from the site at the dealership! Have fun!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Drew said:
Tow home was OK- once we turned OFF the Overdrive on the truck. Whoops.......
Don't feel bad... been there... done that too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts