Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Well I just placed my Campers Choice order for a Folding Shower Door, two springs to close the screen doors and a MaxxAir Turbo Maxx. As soon as Camping World updates their online price to match my catalog that was delivered early I'll be ordering a ParkPower Conversion Kit to change the plug so I don't have to shove it in the hole.

Escrow company refunded us some $800 plus interest, so I got to go shopping! Doubt I'll have it all before our trip this weekend, but no worries as long as we have it for our big June trip coming up.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya sure you betcha I'll take photos.

I just got off the phone with Camping World to order the ParkPlace conversion kit. Pretty good sale of about $30 off, and CW's prices were about the same as other places I could find online. So of course I'm spending money to save money!

Just doing my part of the ol' US economy.

·
Outbackers Contributor
260 Posts
Good luck with the mods Steve. BTW, what's a ParkPlace conversion kit?

I noticed you mentioned the springs for the screen door. I've used those on several campers and they work well. Has anybody modified the catch system used to keep the screen door closed? The one on our 28BHS seems kinda cheesy. I'm wondering if there isn't a more substantial method that works better?

Happy trails,

Greg

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg the conversion kit will replace the "shove the cord through the hole" game we play after each time we camp to a cord that plugs in to the back of the camper, then into the 30amp plug. Much like an extension cord. On our 28RS-S the hole is smack dab behind the tire making it very difficult to push in, combined with a small box (step for the bed) its a real PITA. After our last trip my wife even told me to do something to change that! Woohoo wife approved mod!

As for the door, well its not rocket science, we had the same setup on our Kiwi, its simple but effective. Good thing is if it does break its easy to get parts. On our last trip the kids left the door open at dusk, and low and behold every gnat found their way to OUR trailer.
I just want something to close the door

·
Outbackers Contributor
130 Posts
Steve,

You are right, getting that power cord back into the hole is truly a PITA. I was thinking of opening up that step inside the camper to pull the cord in, but the conversion sounds like a better way to go.

Thanks for the mod.

Tom

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Steve

Shove the cord in the hole is solo game I get to play.

What were your thoughts on opening up the step? Cutting an opening and then installing a hinge???

or

Is there enough room to install a recoil device? (It would be like a tape measure)

There goes the Mod $$ again.

Thor

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it was my game too, then I got smart last time and had my wife do it (evil laugh). I would have considered opening the step, but after I charge the batteries before a trip I plug it in to trickle charge it, and with the bunk pushed in getting to the step would be hard. I've read about several others that have done this mod on their PopUps so figure it should solve some of the hassle. And the price at $59 isn't cheap, but its much better than $85.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Camping World has the 30amp conversion kit for $59? I am going over there to check right now. This mod has been on the top of my list for a while but have always felt the $85 was a bit too much.

I did move my spare tire over a bit to ease in shoving that cord in.

A wife approved mod. Those are hard to come by in my world.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey guys,

I did like CamperDC & moved my spare tire over about a foot, that helps with the shoving but it is still shoving nonetheless. As for the screen doors, neither of ours would latch when closed, the dealer is working on that little fix as we speak. We had to take it in prior to this weekend because the first time we fired up the hot water heater we learned that the pressure release valve was worthless. Water was gushing out of there like crazy. I can put up with some of the little things on ur 1st trip but we gotta have hot water.

Anxious to see those pics of the Maxx Air, are you putting it in the kitchen or the bedroom? Good luck Y-Guy

·
Registered
630 Posts
Okay Y, give me the secret.

I just checked CW online and the conversion kit is still listed at $80 for the club price at that. They have it listed at $80 regular price.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CamperDC I had to call, the website hasn't been updated. The stock number (20300) was correct, when I gave the woman on the phone the # she quoted $59. Usually the website gets updated quicker, but this go around they are slow on the updates. So I'd give them a ring, have your PC # handy if you're a member, if not the sale price is around $65, still better than $8, Oh don't forget to find something for $16 and you'll get free shipping too.

·
Outbackers Contributor
130 Posts
My Camping World 2004 Master Catalog, pg 128, lists the parkpower conversion kit at $80.99, club price, with a $58.00 install price. Just a thought but maybe somebody got the two numbers confused.

Anyhow, I really like this idea, Anybody know how the trailer side connects to the trailer wiring?

Thanks

Tom sunny

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tom the online catalog is still not updated, even though they've changed the site - go figure. For anyone wanting it, the catalog I recieved has a Lighthouse on the front (June 2004), source code is 40501103. Item is on page 64, #20300, PC price $59, Sale price w/out PC $65.56, install price is still $58.

Some details on this come from a guy over at PopUp Times who's done the mod, and made a few mods of it on his own. He added some #10 romex rather than to cut off any of the plug wire as the kit recomends. You can read his site here.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Y-Guy,

I received the new catalog in the mail yesterday and it shows the new price. Thanks for posting on this one because I didnt see it.

Tom,

A good friend of mine did this mod last month and all you do is pull the cord all the way out and cut it where it comes out of the hole leaving enough room to wire the old plug to the new outlet. This new outlet is then mounted to the TT where the old hole is. Then you put a new end on the left over cord so it will plug into the outlet.

Sounds simple but I am not a "mod animal" like some here are.

Y, let us know how is goes when you get finished.

·
Outbackers Contributor
130 Posts
Thanks Steve and Camper

I had orderd some replacement globes for our patio lights, which came todaay along with the June Camping World Catalog, that shows the parkpower conversion kit at $59.99. Seems like a pretty good price. So I think that I am going to order one. I am just not sure if I can install it without messing the whole thing up.

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steve,

That cord conversion kit sounds like a good idea. You'll have to let me know how it works out for you. I got tired real quick of pulling that thing in and out, especially with the stupid tire in the way, so I moved the tire over, and bought a couple 25' 30-amp extension cords. Now when I go camping, I pull the cord out of the trailer about 4 inches and hook one of the extensions on the end. If I get out someplace and for some odd reason need more than the 50' extension that I have, I could always pull the cord out of the trailer for the extra length.

Phil

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well everything arrived by today, well except for the pleated door. Since our youngest will be home ill and I am staying home I should get to start some of the many mods I have planned. I already installed the battery disconnect switch and one of the spring screen door closers. That leaves the TurboMaxx Fan and the plug adapter, both of which are more lengthy projects.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts