Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Went to the DMV today the get license plates for our 04 26 RS. Was supposed to license in late March, but since it was in storage, no need to jump right on that.

On the way there I was thinking, "Look, this is a trailer. You need another vehicle to even move it. It doesn't have a motor. The ownership taxes and license fees on this will probably be under $200...more like $150."

WRONG. The total taxes for city and county were $463. The county tax wasn't bad at $123, but the Castle Rock tax was $340! And like I said, this thing doesn't have a motor!

Sheesh.

Randy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah,

Here in Mass, we have an excise tax on anything that has to be registered. It's based on the value of the "vehicle". We're nowhere as high as you guys though

·
Outbackers Contributor
360 Posts
Only city and county tax! What no state tax? I'm outraged! In Ohio we pay state and county tax fees. I don't remember the total trailer license fee but I'm thinking under $50.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Here in Illinois it's $50 for plates each year and sales tax when purchased was around $950.
(most of that 6% or so was in Michigan where we purchased it and the remaining 1/2% was in IL.) So from now on just $50 a year and $95 for Insurance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Stop it all of you. The local tax here in Clovis, CA is 8.25%. Just paid that on the new 28 RSS. And yet this state is still broke. Help us please.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Twins,

If there's anything left after we pay our $2000 property tax bill FOR THE QUARTER, I'll send it on out

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now I'm feeling better about the higher price I paid for purchase of my Outback last week. At least we don't have any taxes.

Actually, its the inverse. The state PAYS US to live up here.

(is this going to start a riot?)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not to get political here but even if Arnold 'acts' like a governor we'll be way ahead of the what we had before.

This ends the political portion of our show. Thank you for listening.

dp

·
Registered
366 Posts
Twins Make 4 said:
Not to get political here but even if Arnold 'acts' like a governor we'll be way ahead of the what we had before.

This ends the political portion of our show. Thank you for listening.

dp
Unfortunately I "thought" I could light heartedly joke around, sorry if I have stepped on toes...

Politically speaking, you are right if he "acts" like a govener he will be better than what you had.

Personally speaking, imho, if he treats it like all the business ventures he has ...he will turn it around. He has been very sucessful.

But hey here in Oregon we have "Ted Tax-n-gouge me" for a govener...

Thank you for listening and ~~~Happy Camping~~~

·
Registered
197 Posts
No toe damage here NWC, this situation down here is nothing but laughable. So far so good with Arnie. I try not to let this stuff effect how we live our lives. I personally believe that we can choose not to let the political climate dictate our outlook or attitude. Work hard, praise the Lord for our blessings & enjoy life before the kids get too old to enjoy our company.

That's what has driven us to buy the new Outback & hit the road. I can guarantee I won't thinking about what our legislators are doing while I'm sitting on the beach or kicking back by a lake up in the hills.

Let's get out & have some fun.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Twins Make 4 said:
Work hard, praise the Lord for our blessings & enjoy life before the kids get too old to enjoy our company.

That's what has driven us to buy the new Outback & hit the road. I can guarantee I won't thinking about what our legislators are doing while I'm sitting on the beach or kicking back by a lake up in the hills.

Let's get out & have some fun.
AMEN!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Ok, here is the CT take on things, sales tax 6%, registration $58.00 for two years, Insurance $344 a year, and as far as the property tax, I don't know what that will be, as we get that bill once a year. Like MA, it is based on vehicle value

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
I have to agree with twins, But it isn't quite as bad in San Berdardino county only 7 3/4% taxes, it's the registration fee's that kill me 187.00 per years
but it does depreicate. Why is california so broke, so far so good with the new govenater. Kirk

PS: I am consideing registaring the Outback at my nephews house in New Mexico, price goes way down.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Hey Pete...you still have perma-frost up there?

Tim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here in Michigan the sales tax is 6% and it cost me $200 for registration. It's a litle different though in MI, registration is permanent. Pay it once, and it lasts until you get rid of the trailer.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
8.25% Sales tax on everything including clothes, except some food.
Property tax too high to list,

Gas $1.98 to 2.07 for cheapo.

Gotta live by the state motto, I Love NY State. (love them taxes)

Thanks to the Outback for getting us away from it all.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you live in Castle Rock Colorado? We are very close , in Elizabeth. Just bought at our Outback 28rss at Sun City in the springs. We take delivery Friday, we are so excited . Well I guess we better save for plates though.
Jen

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Elizabeth Outbackers,

We sure do live in Castle Rock, CO. We almost purchased from Sun City as well. The guy there told me, "Whatever price you get at Steve Casey's RV, knock $1500 off and that will be Sun City's price."

Well, Steve Casey's Service Center is amazing. Really big, lots of bays, just beautiful. So, I really wanted to buy a 26 RS from Casey's. When we worked the deal, Casey's came back with a starting price. I subtracted $1,800 (I cheated) and told them that Sun City would sell me the same trailer for $1,800 less. Casey's squirmed, and I told them that price included the w/d hitch and sway control as well. Well, they accepted my offer of $16,500 out the door, including that goofy $299 dealer prep fee. Got a pretty good deal I think, and I can use the Service Center at Casey's.

I asked Casey's why not just buy from Sun City and use Casey's service center. Casey's told me that Casey customers get first priority on service appointments...especially during the busy camping season. Campers are not like cars. The dealers can service their customers only if they wish.

Good luck with your Outback. We liked the 28 RSS initally. We decided to go with the 26 RS for a few reasons. 1. weight - we are towing with a 1500 Yukon with 4.10 gears. 2. Length - that 28 RSS is LONG! 3. Layout - we prefer the couch be across from the dinette.

I'll send you a private email with our camping plans this year. Maybe we'll meet up sometime!

Randy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts