Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently looking at the Outback 25RSS or the 26RS I have (3) children so I am leaning toward the 26RS, but since my oldest is 19 he doesn't always go camping with us. If anyone has any information good or bad on either of these please let me know.

Thanks,
FD1958

2002 TrailCrusier C22
2001 Chevy Silverado
1 wife
3 kids
2 dogs

·
Registered
630 Posts
We first considered the 26rs before we bought the 28rss. They are basically the same TT except for the sofa slide and that is why I went with the 28rss. I read some threads on rv.net and everyone was saying that the sofa slide is the way to go and if you can afford the money and the extra TT weight you will not regret having the slide. If my 19 year old was not going to go camping much I might opt for the 25rss. However, the extra two bunks on the 26rs may come in very handy if your other two children bring any friends. Also, the bunk house has turned into "their room" and they like to go in there and close the door and have what privacy the thin door gives them.

I would recommend that you all go in each one at the dealer and spend a little time moving around in them. Have someone stand at the kitchen area and someone sitting on the couch and see how comfortable they are when others are moving back and forth.

Good Luck in your decision and I am sure you will be happy either way you go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CamperDC,

Have you taken any trips with your Outback? I have a Chevy Silverado with 5.3L V8 and a towing package, pulling my current trailer is no problem but this Outback 28RS-S would be over 1K more in trailer weight. I was curious if you have pulled it in any hilly areas and if so was there any issues. I have read good things about the Outback and was leaning toward the 25RS-S but like the quad bunk setup of the 26RS. You are right about the 28RS-S having both the slideout and the bunks but I have to convince my better half on a trailer this size. She doesn't think we need a trailer that big! I do have one other question with regards to the total length of the 28 RS-S. Keystone literature has the length at just over 29ft, is that from the tip of the tongue to the rear bumper?

Thanks,
FD1958

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
We were considering the 25rs-s until we saw it next to the 26 rs. That was nice to be able to quickly walk from camper to camper and assess the benefits of each. While the sofa slide does provide nice interior room, where it is positioned relative to the dinette is a little awkward for us. People sitting at the table cannot easily face the people sitting at the couch. Sitting in the 26 rs, even without a slide, seemed like a more "sociable" camper for our family. The sofa directly across from the dinette works best for us.

The 26 rs is also lighter than the 25 rs-s. We too have a 5.3 liter V8, and I wanted to stay at least 2000 pounds below max towing when we are loaded up (including the weight of people and cargo in the truck).

The quad bunks are going to be great (we pick up our 26 rs tomorrow). We have three kids, and for them to have their own "room", own TV, and a door, that works really well when they want to go to bed and we are partying with camper neighbors. We can also watch our own TV.

The 26 rs is less expensive than the 25 rss. But, if you want interior room, and only have two kids, the 25 rs-s is probably the better choice.

Randy

·
Registered
630 Posts
FD1958,
I'd be lying if I told you it pulled the TT like a dream but is does fine for us. I would like to get into a bit more of a TV but that is not in the cards right now and I have had no problems to date pulling it. I live in IN and camp mostly in IN and KY and have had it in hilly areas but I have not had to pull through any major ranges so far so I cannot speak about how it will do there but it's done fine in the hills. We had the whole rig out 8 times last year and had no trouble towing it. We are a family of four and usally have our bikes and firewood in the back of the truck as well. We also pack the TT on the lighter side. I talked my dealer into a test tow with the TT before I bought it. Of course after the hitch work was done I was a bit committed so if the test tow did not work out I was going to go with the 26rs or the 25rss. Turned out I was comfortable with the way it towed so we went for it. I also opted for the Reese HP Dual Cam and have not regretted it.

Good Luck.

Castle Rock Outbackers,

All very good points. What works for one family my not work for another. That is why you should spend some time in both of them at the dealer if you can. This spring during a rain storm we had four people at the table playing a mean game of risk. Two people sitting at the couch talking. Four in the bunk house watching a movie two more on the rear slide watching the game. I was really glad I had the extra space. Of course there was another family trapped in there with us and that will not happen too often.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
DC,

The 28 rs-s was actually my first choice, and the camper my wife liked the best, tooy. It was on display at the camper show a couple weeks ago here in Denver. It has everything....the quad bunks, the slide, lots of room, great kitchen. No doubt there. When you had all those people in your camper you must have been thinking, "Is this the coolest camper, or what?"

But, when it came down to it, I was most worried about the length (3 more feet that the 26 rs and 3 1/2 feet more than the 25 rs-s) and the weight (710 pounds heavier than the 26 rs). Since I only have a 1/2 ton Yukon XL with 8100 towing and a 5.3 liter V8, I would be pushing the max towing a little too close for my comfort. And in Colorado, the best places to camp (and the most places to camp) are up some big mountain.

If I had the Yukon XL 2500 with 12,000 towing, no problem.

Randy

·
Registered
630 Posts
Randy,

With your situation I would agree that you made the right move. If I were in Colorado I am sure I would be wishing I went the smaller route.

Colorado is one part of this great country that I want to visit. I really hope I take the time to do that one day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To All,

Thanks for all of your insight and thoughts. We have looked at a 21RS and a 26RS at a show at our local dealer. We are going to return to the dealer next month to look at the 25RS-S and the 28RS-S. We live in Illinois so camping close to home would not be an issue towing the larger trailer but I also am concerned with the added weight. We went to Maine with our current camper 2 years ago and had no problems in the hills in New York so I was just curious on what to expect with the added weight. Thanks again for all your input and I will keep you advised our our choice.

Thanks,
Bill (FD1958)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 TrailCrusier C22
2001 Chevy Silverado 5.3L V8 w/towing pkg.
1 wife
3 kids
2 dogs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts