Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outbackers.com Founder
794 Posts
If your ever in Texas this is a very nice State Park tucked away in the Hill Country just the other side of Vanderpool, Texas. This picture was taken there in January 2003. We love this place...

·
Outbackers Contributor
505 Posts
Spent several days in South Llano River State Park near Juncton, TX in June. Wow, what a place, with the roaming wildlife and a river to "raft" in, we all had a great time. I'll post photos soon.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,354 Posts
Lost Maples is a great place to visit. The surrounding area offers some of the most scenic drives in Texas. The best time to go is usually the first two weeks or so in November, the weather is perfect and the big-toothed Maples turn color. Make your reservations very early though, its not a large campground and is usually booked. This is a rarely in Texas where most trees don't loose their leaves in winter. Close by is Garner state Park where people from all over Texas go to tube the Frio river (even George Straight). Plenty of hiking sightseeing visiting the quaint towns nearby, etc.

I've also stayed in South LLano State Park. It has excellent sites, widely spaced, clean, very easy to get into. In October the turkey rut begins and you can sit in your camp ground and see dozens of them all over the place. Also as is typical in the Texas Hill country, deer are abundant.

One of my favorite campground's in Texas in Ft. Davis Mountains State Park out in west Texas. The McDonalds observatory is close by and open to the public with star viewing tours at night. Plenty of great scenery, a restored old Calvary fort to explore. I little south is the towns of Alpine which is an artist town with all the little shops and museums you would expect and Marfa, home of the Marfa lights for you space alien fans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts