Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I have noticed that when I hook-up my fresh water hose to the trailer and don't use the onboard pump that my water pressure is lower. The pump actually does a better job!

I have a brand new brass pressure regulator inline with the water hose and am not sure what it is set at but have heard they are about 40-45psi. I also use a brand new inline water filter as well.

When I am hooked up I can also turn the pump on and when I use the water the pump comes on too to assist the hose pressure. So I guess the hose pressure must be pretty low if the pump sees the need to come on too. Seems like touble is lurking with the filter or regulator.

I'll check back in after I do some investigating.

Anybody else notice this?

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
I have the same problem. I actually removed the pressure regulator at one campground. At 2 AM we woke up to rushing water under the dinette. A hose blew off the pump. I think it was never tightened all the way, but I'd recommend always using the regulator.

I've done the same as you and turned the pump on while the hose is still hooked up. I'll do this before I take a shower or for doing dishes to increase water flow. If you hear of an idea to minimize pressure losses in the hose, I'd like to learn about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey guys, I must have a misunderstanding of the water system. Because I thought when you are hooked up with the water hose you are bypassing the fresh water tank. Is this right? If it is, how can the pump know if it needs assitance, also if there is no water in the fresh water tank will it be pumping air and burn up the pump. I guess I don't know as much as I thought I did

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
woodtrailman,
I really don't know how it works, I'm just guessing. I think the pump works off of the pressure downstream, and it turns on when the pressure gets below some preset low pressure point and turns off when it reaches a high pressure set point (I think). If the hose is hooked up, it pressurizes the discharge side of the pump, I would guess this is where the pressure sensor is. If the hose pressure is below the pump's low pressure set point, the pump will turn on and pull water out of the fresh tank until the discharge pressure reaches the high setpoint. So the pump can still run when a hose is hooked up. I THINK

Then again, I could be full of it and not know what I'm talking about. Either way, the pump pressure is usually higher than what you get out of a pressure regulated hook-up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ctsoderg
If that is the way it works then you must always have water in the fresh water tank. Unless the pump has a sensor telling the pump there's no water in the tank, therefore the pump would not start. I really don't know, never used the pump except when I winterized. Always had city water hookups and the pump has never started.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My understanding is if you're hooked up to a hose, the water pump does not operate. Only time the water pump comes into play is if you have water in the tank and are not hooked up to the hose

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Had the same low pressure using a regulator and filter hooked up to a water supply. I removed the filter and the pressure went right up. I was using a cheap filter and I think it really cut the pressure down.

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
Woodtrailman,
You're right, there has to be water in the fresh tank or the pump wouldn't do anything. The hose connection does not tie into the fresh water tank, they're independant.

Thanks for the filter info, 479, I'll have to see if I can upgrade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With the tank empty your pump will come on at first and when it senses no water or pressure it will turn off automaticilly. Using the pump while connected to city water is useless and not recommeded per your manual. Many park's have varying water pressure so you never know how much pressure you will have. Filters definately affect pressure in the trailer.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Your welcome guys, I was tired of a trickle for a shower and started to hunt for the source and by process of elimination found out it was the filter.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK follow-up time. I removed the inline (hose) water filter and it made no improvement. So my low water pressure must be do to the regulator I am using. The regulator appears to be a pretty good one and is solid brass. It's also stamped with "45 PSI" which if was true should be enough I would think!

Anybody else have any experience with these things? Is yours 45psi? And if so, what kind of pressure are you getting at the kitchen faucet etc...

So either the regulator is cutting it down even lower than 45psi or my pump is pushing out 55-60psi. FYI, while using the pump my pressure is VERY good and comparable to my home pressure.

What do ya'all think

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jim
Try what Camping 479 did. Process of elimination. You have only one more step. Try it without the regulator. But don't go to far away and have someone standing near the faucet ready if you have high water pressure. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi guys, I just read something about this on the trailer forum. The guy said that the little in line reg"s slowed down water flow and what he did was to install a new house regulator perminatly in line after the check valve, he got it at lowes. I have not done this but it sounds good and more heavy duty. Have you hooked up the in-line reg to the hose and turned it on with-out it hooked to the TT to see if you have lower pres? Is the check valve stuck, it is behind the water hook-up? Just some things to look at Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I'll check the unit out carefully and see if there is any obvious defect or obstruction. I'm afraid to hook up the hose at home without the regulator because I have 90psi ! I'll probably pop a fitting somewhere without it. Thanks again for your ideas!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts