Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am getting close to taking the plunge.
Will be traveling tomorrow to spend the day in Cleburn TX to look at the 26RS.
My question is this.
The dealer says he used the Husky hitch set-up.
My experience from posts here is that I'd be (much?) better off with
a Reese DC or an Equalizer.
He says his experience is that neither of these set-ups are any better that what he's installing.
What do you think.
As he sounds like he only installs Husky, how do I get him to get me the set-up
I understand may work best.
Should I just go on down the road and get someone else to order/install??

RJP

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Hi
I don't know squat about HUSKY hitches. But I do know I like my EQUAL-I-ZER hitch. I made my dealer order one and ship it in. They had never installed one before mine, so of course they wanted me to take what they wanted to sell me. I insisted on EQUAL-I-ZER, and am happy I did.

Kindly remind them who has the money, and insist on what YOU WANT. Settle for nothing less. He's not the one towing around your family and trailer.

Good luck.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
When I bought my Kiwi my dealer tried to convince me that all Equalizing hitches were the same, since my sales contract made it clear I wanted a Equali-z-er brand hitch I held it to them. The Husky looks pretty much like the Reese setup, but for the price I saw online I think I'd go for the Equalizer hitch with its sway control built in. If your dealer trys to get you to use Friction sway control I would make it clear that won't do (not for a 26' trailer at least)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered my equalizer right off of their internet site and when I got it I gave it to my dealer, who had never seen one before. He installed it according to the enclosed instructions, and I have never had a problem. It works great and you do not have to "unhook" anything before you back your trailer into a site.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I agree with Pete, don't let the dealer tell you that a friction sway with work just fine with a 26' trailer.
Not only is it your money, it is your tow vehicle, your trailer, and most importantly, your life and the lives of your family. The wrong hitch setup can really ruin your day, and mess up some shorts at the same time.

The dealer we are buying from told me they deal with Husky. I told him I wanted the Reese, and they said ok. I am paying a bit more for it, but I am getting the setup that I want, not what the dealer wants to sell me.

As far as what hitch is better, the Reese DC or the Equal-i-zer, it all depends on who you ask. Those that have the Reese will say theirs is best, those that have the Equal-i-zer will say theirs is. As I personally have yet to find anyone who has owned both of them to get a true comparison, I did my research, then looked at both up close. I chose the Reese Dual Cam HP, which to me looked just a little beefier, and didn't rely on friction. This is not to say that the Equal-i-zer is not a good hitch. Until the Dual Cam HP came out, I was thinking about the Equal-i-zer myself.

Actually, I looked at the Hensly Arrow and the Pull Rite also, but think that $2800 and $1700 respectively are just a little too much for a hitch right now.

Good luck with your hitch search.

Tim

·
Registered
279 Posts
RJP,
We got our Outback from Cleburn also. What area are you in? We're north of Fort Worth.
The previous posts were on the money. They installed the Huskey wd hitch on my truck. The friction sway control helps, but I can't wait to go with a Reese or Equilizer. My Outback is the 21RS and it is a handfull under windy conditions. I also have to be mindfull of 18 wheelers passing. They DO have an effect on my present rig. I haven't been anywhere near loosing control or anything like that, but it's not the easy pull I hear other people speak of.
Insist on a better set up. Friction sway control won't be sufficient for a 26'. They will probably tell you that 2 friction bars will be good enough. DON"T buy it. Be safe.

James.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi RJP,
I let the dealer talk me into friction sway control and used it all of last year. It was quite a experiance kind of like magic mountain and the white knucklers
. Anyway we went ahead and bought the dual cam set-up and this was the first trip we used it, WOW what a difference, semi's had little to no effect when passing and the outback felt solid when pulling. Stick to what you want you will be dollars ahead and safer when towing. Kirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts