Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we did… we just bought a new 28bhs and it looks great but I have one concern the people at the dealership convinced me to get a weight distributing hitch that uses lift chains. The hitch came with a sway bar but only one side. I also purchased the voyager brake controller. I’m considering returning to the dealer and upgrading to a prodigy and buying the second sway control please let me know what would you do

Ps I’m pulling the tt with a 2002 Tahoe that can pull 7700 lbs. thanks for any information

Pete

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Congrats on your new outback, sounds to me like they sold you the friction type sway controller. does it look like a extended brake pad unit ? If it does you only need one. The reese style hitch does use chains to distribute the weight to the TV. If you can get them to exchange brake controller with the protogy you will be much happier and try to get them to upgrade to the HP dual cam setup, the difference in pulling and control is night and day. These two items will make your towing a lot more pleasent, well worth any extra money they may charge, Good luck

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
You know for a 21' or maybe a 23' unit the friction sway controll is probably okay, but I've had them on my Popup and just don't see them being enough to control sway on a 28' unit. You can probably add the dual cam sway control to it if you feel like you need it. The voyager is a good controller, the Prodigy is better but I know plenty of hybrid owners with a Voyager and they like it just fine.

Remember with the friction sway bars you need to remove them when you back up, or you may find them broken.

·
Outbackers Contributor
94 Posts
Peter1
congrats on the new unit. I use the Voyager on my 28frls and have no problems. Its easy to adjust and I have had no trouble. The Prodigy I first bought about a year and a half ago was a bad one from the factory. We were out of state when it started to actup the dealer I stopped at did not have a new Prodigy in stock at the time but had the Voyager which he installed and gave me a refund for the Prodigy that he did not sell me but was a dealer for them and said he was going to send it back to the factory for credit. There are some nice dealers out there.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Congrats!
If I were you, I would make sure I was 100% happy with the hitch/brake controller. You don't sound completely sure to me.

Personally, I wouldn't trade my hitch or brake controller for ANYTHING on the market today. I tow with a TAHOE as well.

Just make sure you are happy. It's your safety, and your money. Spend wisely.
Just my two cents.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
I would definately install the Reese dual cam weight distributing system for two reasons:

1. The 28BHS is a big mama and wants to be the boss! My personal opinion is that anything 24' and up should have it. The 28BHS checks in at 29'4" bumper to ball and is a force to be reckoned with.

2. The shorter wheelbase of your Tahoe. You could possibly get that classic "tail wagging the dog" without it. A situation both you and your shorts will not soon forget.

The Prodigy is an excellent controller and virtually everyone you ask about it will rave. That doesn't mean that others wont work. But you will likely be happier.

But please, at least install the dual cam system for your safety and enjoyment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information… while I was driving her home had a good cross wind I guess about 15 to 20 mph and I was driving at 60 anything above that the back end just didn’t feel right. Had a 18-wheeler pass me from behind and I was being sucked in towards the truck.. Was not really bad but did have to correct a little and it did make my eyebrows raise a little.. I’m going with the duel cam first then if I have any money left may switch out the controller thanks guys… man I cant wait until spring break that’s when we take it out for the first time..

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts