Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member. First I want to say what a great forum this is. I am about to get a 28BHS. I would like to know what your thoughts are on towing it with a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 w/Hemi. I have a 3.92 rear end with the 20 inch wheels. Dodge says my max GTW is 8850. I know that all depends on what and who you have in the truck. According to the specs of the TT fully loaded can only be 7000. Do you think I will have any problems towing with a 1500?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
260 Posts
Welcome Brian,

Congrats on your choice of TT's. Can't say you could've of made a better choice.

Your post doesn't indicate what type of hitch set-up you'll be using. I know from experience that can make a big difference. Look through the other posts for info. on Equal-i-zer and Reese comments. These are good quality options and will eliminate most, if not all, of the potential towing concerns. As for your TV itself, you have a good motor, good gear ratio and plenty of GVWR (and presumably GCWR as well). I don't see where you should have any problem. Of course, staying alert and prepared can't be substituted for by ANY set-up.

Good luck and have fun,

Greg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The dealer has included the hitch in the price but it was just with the friction type sway control. I am going to have them put a dual cam type on instead, as for the weight distibution is one brand better than another. I figured they all work on the same principle. Are there some brands I need to stay away from.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

As far as weight distribution, if you buy the reese straight line system, you will get the weight distribution bars, hitch head and dual cam. Best way to go if you are starting fresh with the hitch system IMO.

I hear that hemi is a good engine for towing.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Some dealers say they don't sell the "Straight line" hitch, so then just ask for the Reese/Draw-Tite Trunnion WD Hitch, and a Dual Cam HP sway control. It is the same thing. Reese just bundled them into one package and called it a Straight line.

Reese and Draw-Tite are owned by the same parent company, and therefore most of the products are identicle.

The Equalizer is also a good choice, though I have no experience with it personally.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Brian several of us here tow the 28' with a 1500 truck. I can say after a 900 mile trip with ours that my Av 1500 did just fine. I have the 4.10 rear end, but even then it did fine. You may not fly up the hills but you won't be going 25MPH either. Having an add on transmission cooler is a good idea depending on the size of the one in your truck. Watch your trans temp and have a good maintenance routine for it and I think you'll be fine. I would suggest taking your setup and getting it weighed, I did the first day I had mine, and on our next trip I plan to weigh it again with everything loaded in it as well as a full crew of people.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm an Equal-i-zer fan.

Y-Guy...I don't like the way your avatar is staring at me. Did you retire the flag?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I am going to go with the reese staight line hitch. The next question which one? I am getting the 28BHS with dry tongue weight of 560. So should I go with the 800 or the 1200?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Brian when I bought our hitch I opted for a large one so I could keep it should I upgrade to a larger trailer, and now that I have the 28' I'm happy I did. Generally speaking a larger one are okay to go with and gives you the option to move up, I wouldn't go any higher though.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
The tongue on my 26RS is 600#, and I have the 800# bars.

Steve, Senior member now?

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I've given up all hope of trying to catch up with Steve. I just don't have that much energy in my fingers.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
I just want to know when you switch over to advanced member, 235 posts and counting, oh, maybe this one will do it. kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
OMG Senior? I think its time for me to shut up! This place is bloody addictive! Senior my... Where do I get my discount card

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of your reply's. Looks like I am picking up my new 28bhs this Saturday. I am getting the Reese Staight Line 800 and Prodigy brake controller. I can not wait.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Good deal! Take your time on the PDI and most of all HAVE FUN!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
I just want to know when you switch over to advanced member, 235 posts and counting, oh, maybe this one will do it. kirk
I think 250 is the magic number. Of course Steve and Pete are the pathfinders in this journey.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
hatcityhosehauler said:
I think 250 is the magic number. Of course Steve and Pete are the pathfinders in this journey.
Pathfinder sounds better than Senior! LOL Then again I found a grey hair this weekend and flipped out, I mean I may be losing my hair by GREY!!!!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
That's because no one in this house will talk to me anymore, so I need you people!
(ok, not counting my wife!)

Kids are off doing their own thing now, which leaves me with lots of time to kill. Hanging out with parents isn't cool anymore. (do they still say "cool?")

The more you post, the higher you climb. Mine never changes, so I don't even know!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts