Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I found this page after it was mentioned in a thread on the Open Roads Forum, and it looks great. My wife and I are very likely going to purchase our Outback this weekend at the RV show taking place at the "The Big E" in W. Springfield, MA.

We have it narrowed down to the 25 RS-S, 26 RS, or the 28 BH-S. Tow vehicle is a 2002 Chev Avalanche K1500 with the 5.3L, 3.73 gears and the tow package, a prodigy brake controller. I plan on getting a Reese Dual Cam with the trailer, with an upgrade to a Hensley Arrow when economics allow.

Any comments on the selection of Outbacks are welcome, as well as any caveats about them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello Hatcity,
Welcome to Outbackers. I found this site the same way. The best Outback to go with is which ever one gives you that "I really want that one" kind of feeling. As long as it's compatible with tow vehicle. Your's seems to be well suited for the RVs you mentioned. We have the 21RS and absolutely love it. I noticed one of your hobbies was woodworking. What's your favorite? I'm a carver. Mainly antique repair, furniture and cabinetry highlights. Some architectural carving also, but far in between jobs these days. Seems to be picking up though. Well, enjoy that new RV and keep posting.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We also were considering the 25 rs-s and the 26 rs. We decided on the 26 rs for a few reasons:

1. We have three kids, so the quad bunks are perfect.
2. The 26 rs is lighter than the 25 rs-s, mostly due to the lack of a couch slide.
3. We like where the couch is positioned relative to the dinette (right across from it). We figured that would work well for hanging out with friends and family at night.
4. The 26 rs is about $1,800 less than the 25 rs-s. We paid $16,200 for the 26 rs, plus $300 for the w/d hitch.

If you can get the 25 rs-s and the 26 rs right next to each other, you can go in and and of both and compare them easier. That's what we did.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I love my Avalanche, can't wait to put my new 28RS-S behind it and tow. I ran the numbers on the 28 and my Av and I was within the limits. I'm going to add an additional trans cooler and swap to an Escalde cluster so I get the temp gauge on my dash.

Rather than go from a Reese to Hensley you may want to look at the Equa-li-zer hitch setup, has the 4 point sway control and price is close to that of a Reese. Lowest price I've seen is on www.rvwholesalers.com for around $399 they also sell the Prodigy for $99, again the lowest consistent price I've seen.

If you found this gorup, then you should also know about the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club, www.cafcna.com a good place for mods and ideas for the Av.

Steve

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

The advice, and pointers you have mentioned will help in the decision process. My wife is leaning towards the 28 BH-S, as she likes the idea of having the walk around queen bed. I must admit, that is a nice option, but in the end I think the pocketbook will be the determining factor. Hopefully we will be able to see all three next to each other at the show Monday.

As far as the Reese vs. the Equal-I-zer, I have done some research on both, and it seems to me that they appear to provide similar performance, with the owners of each touting their brand as better. Again, I will look at both at the show, and who knows, perhaps Hensley will be there also, and might make me a deal I can't refuse. (fat chance of that I'm sure)

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Hatcity, Greetings from Central Jersey. Good luck with your trailer purchase. Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts