Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just purchased our first TT. We decided to get the Outback 23rs after looking a long time. We must have walked through 25 to 30 different TT and before comming back to one of the first ones we looked at.

We are planning our first trip out on the 14th of May. This will be the first time my wife and kids have been camping. I want to make it a great exp so they will continue to go.

I purchased a yahama 2800 generater.

Our TV is a 1999 Ford Exp with a 5.4L eng. I had the Electric breaks added to my Exp and a heavy duty hitch.

My wife has been shopping sence we bought the TT. I think she is going to fill it up with too much stuff. But as long as she is having fun. I think I will put it all in a pile and leave half of it behind.

We have been testing everything out on the TT in the drive way and my kids think I am nuts. I have been spending almost every night in it to get it ready.

My question is :

Should I turn off the propane tanks when I am towing the TT or leave them on to power the fridge?

Are there any other things we should be concerned with?

·
Outbackers Contributor
71 Posts
raxtell,
action
Welcome. I leave the propane on during travel for the fridge. Good question, if you check on the HVAC & Appliance section, a poll was taken of the members. I think about 75% of the replies said they traveled with propane on. There is arguments on both sides. Enjoy you trip and I'm sure your family will be hooked by the end of the weekend.

·
Outbackers Contributor
617 Posts
Hi! Glad you decided to come over and join us on this forum.
I'm Mrs. Scooby from the other one.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here. These people over here are great!
It's just like family. I'm sure you will get an answer to all you need.
And maybe some to those who don't need.......LOL

Enjoy your new camper! And most of all HAVE FUN!!! sunny

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

LOL, I saw your post over at rv.net and the advice to leave half behind. We've lived by that for a long time travelling and still seem to have too much.

I run the fridge on propane when we travel, I just turn off the fridge when we fuel up.

Most of all, try and relax and enjoy the experience. If you forget anything or how to do something, most campers are very friendly and will help out.

Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
First of all welcome to the Outbackers!

I'm one that would vote to turn off the propane when traveling, you'll need to turn it off if you gas up, enter a tunnel and some other reasons. We fire our fridge up a couple days before our trip to precool it good. I add a couple 2 liter bottles with water to freeze them, those help keep items well chilled while we're traveling. I think a lot depends on how long you are traveling; if its only a few hours I don't think its necessary to have the fridge running. If you're going for a long day that might change.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Congrats! Welecome to OUTBACKERS!

I think you are pretty safe to travel with it on. If you are only going a couple hours, why not have it pre-cooled and leave it off.

Y...great tip with the 2 ltrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts