Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the new Outback 28RS-S today. Love it! The walk through went fine, no issues with the camper at all, had a good PDI person and they took enough time for my questions and inspections. Once I was hooked up I took it to get it weighed and drove around at freeway speeds with trucks around, and it towed wonderfully. Bit nervous running around town with the extra 5' compared to our previous 23' camper. Its now setup in the side yard and myself and the boys are going to campout there tonight.

At the scales, the truck was empty but had me, Equa-li-zer WD hitch, dual 6v batteries, 2 full 30 gal. propane tanks. It came in with a GCWR of 11,860, the max for the Av is 14,000. Using a previous truck weight of 5,674 and that means the camper weighs in at 6,186 giving me 1,714 CCC, which I can't see us needing all of. The brochure weight is 5,190, and the Trailer Life weight was 6,140. Once we load up I anticipate being right close to the 7,000 limit. I want to get the Av weight again to see how it compares.

I updated the pictures on our website with new interior photos, and I should have exterior photos this weekend. http://mysite.verizon.net/s_howland/outback/

·
Registered
279 Posts
ALRIGHT Y-GUY
Saw your post on RV.NET that mentioned today was the day. Glad all went well. Hope you and the boys have a good camp out and all systems perform properly. Have fun.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Y-Guy,

Congrats and good luck with it. I'd be interested in hearing what the Avalanche weighs out at next time you go to the scales. I like the front bunkhouse, kids can have their own little room, but I am still having a little difficulty with the idea of climbing in and out of the slideout bed. The walk around queen in the 28 BH-S is mighty nice looking.

I just hope that the is an example of each at the show this weekend. Wife and I are still undecided as to what model. Still looking at the 25 RS-S, 26 RS, and the 28 BH-S. Price will definately have some roll. Did you get a good deal on the 28 RS-S?

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can relate to the climbing to the bed, with the step that they put in the Outback it makes it much nicer though. Was on thing they didn't do on the Frontier that gave the Outback another edge. Though I'd like to spank the fool the decided to put the cord there.

I may try to fun the Av over to the scales this weekend, I was glad I got it weighed empty early on, but now I'm curious as to how close the weights were. If it is really 6186 then kudos to Trailer Life for an accurate weight. Though I wish they would state if it was loaded or unloaded.

First night was fun. Kids had a blast playing their gameboys on the top bunks all snuggled in their sleeping bags. The ducted heat kept the camper very warm, which was good because is ***snowed*** on us last night. Not much but there is a trace amount of snow all over the ground, sure glad I didn't take it someplace like I wanted too! Loved the remote control for the furnace and a/c unit, was nice to warm things up a bit more without getting out of bed. Of course just like camping the youngest was up at 7:00 AM - so much for sleeping in today.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Wow, a trace of snow? Our mid-winter thaw is just about over hear in New England, with highs all this week in the 40's. Tomorrow's high is expected to be high teen's, with a -single digit low. I guess the party is over. To bad the daytime highs didn't get all the snow to melt away.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Thaw?
All I have to say is that it is -20 F. here right now. Don't know what the low will be!
YIKES!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congratulations on the new Outback.

I noticed in your pictures that our campers are identical except for the cabinet in between the bunks. You have more of a wardrobe type of cabinet and ours is more of an entertainment system. We do not have the two doors and bars like in your pictures. Ours just has open shelves. Does your 28rss have the two coat closets on either side of the door by the bathroom?

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do have those to closets too. I don't know if the change is new or old, I've seen photos of both setups. Nice to have the extra storage space though.

The cabinets on either side of the entry door setup with two coat closets on the side by the bunks and the kitchen side has 2 drawers in the upper and coat hanger below. I just put in 2 wire shelves in the lower one though since I really don't need that much coat closet space. I'm going to do the same to the other lower cabinet by the bunkhouse today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts