Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and thanks for your help in buying my 2004 21RS. I've been a guest on the forum for a while now and it was a big help in deciding on the Outback. I think that many of us really research our trailer purchase and the Outback RV Owners Forum is a great resource.

My wife and I have been camping for 30 years. First in a Volkswagen Camper and then in a Coleman Sun Valley Tent Trailer. We have enjoyed the tent trailer, but after 20 years it was time to move up! We live in Central California and love to head over to the Central Coast area. Two weeks ago we made the first trip with the Outback and everything went just fine. My wife said it didn't feel like camping and I agree. Our three daughters (16, 20, 23) all want to go with us now!

I'm slowly going through every nook and cranny, looking to see how it's put together and looking for problems. So far it's mostly been stuff like loose screws. The worst thing I found was that the front cover of heater was only held on by one screw. The cover (this is behind the heater grill) had dropped off part way so you could look right inside the heater. Without the cover properly in place, there wasn't much air coming out the floor ducts. With the cover on, it all works great.

I do design and maintenace on mobile broadcast vechicles so I'm sort of the opinion that I'd rather fix it myself than take it to the dealer. I've already done several of the projects presented on the forum. Here's an inexpensive easy one from me: Buy some split loom tubing at the auto parts store and enclose all the wires you can find on the outside of the trailer. This gives a nice clean look and will protect the wires. The break-a-way switch is a good place to start... Just work your way back to the junction box.

Our big plans for this summer include a week at Carpenteria State Beach (near Santa Barbara) and a two week trip to Oregon. For the Oregon trip we are heading up I5 almost to Portland and then cutting over to the coast and working our way back down into California. This was planned out months ago thinking we would still have the tent trailer so it will be interesting!

Anyway, thanks again guys!!! action

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hey another californian and west coast outbacker action . I was beginning to think all the outbacks were being sent only to the east coast. Glad to have you with us and enjoy your Outback. Kirk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome Walt,

We're here in Clovis, probably not too far away. We take delivery of our Outback this coming monday, 5/17. Like you this has been a great resource in deciding to go Outback. Welcome aboard, it's a lot of fun.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts

Welcome aboard Walt, look forward to hearing about your Mods too.

Trip to Oregon should be a blast, I took trips from Eugene down to Cresent City for about 5 years in a row. Recently we went to Beverly Beach SP and found it to be a great park and the Aquarium at Newport is outstanding. We also hit Jessie Honeyman SP in Florence, you can climb the dunes and enjoy the beach. Humbug SP down further was always a nice stop too. While your on the coast make a point to go to Mo's, a unique family place for seafood and some of the best clam chowder too!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey There, Twins Make 4!

You guessed it on my location. We're just down the road in Fowler. If you are buying yours at Paul Everts, the guys who do the walk-throughs can be on a tight schedule. Ours was on a Saturday, Monday shouldn't be so bad. We had "Santos" and he would say "take as much time as you want" but he kept pushing to get done quick. When the furnace didn't work well (see my post) he said that's how they all work but if I didn't like it I could bring the trailer back and they would check it out. He finally called one of the shop guys over and he said the same thing! All in all though, Evert's has been a good place and I can reccomend them.

Five girls... I thought I was out numbered! You know, I wouldn't have it any other way!

And Y-Guy,

We did the Oregon trip twice back when we had the VW Bus and I remeber Mo's well.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,212 Posts
action Welcome to Outback ownership! We are also taking a 2 week trip beginning this Sat. Eyes will be tightly shut when filling the gas tank
and we will just keep on trucking!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Walt,

Yes we did buy from Everts & I'm looking forward to Monday. Did you take any additional PDI list in with you? I'm planning to take one of the lists recommended here. I spoke with the service writer yesterday & she said to bring it in when I came. I've done a lot of RV'ing with family, grew up around trailers but this is my first rig & I don't want to get rushed through it. Glad to hear yours went well. We are planning our maiden voyage for Memorial Day as well. Where are you headed? Kids are pumped to get the Outback home but my wife & I may be even more over the top. They don't have any idea how much fun is in store. I'll let you know how it goes next week. Again welcome aboard, this is a great resource & a lot of fun.

dp

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, Twins Make 4,

Yes, I had my "list" with me for the walk through. It was one that covered everything and would take hours to do. Everyone at Everts said "bring your list, we work with them all the time". Well, I think they figure you are so excited about geting the trailer that it won't take long for them to get you to start skipping over stuff. So they just say that. They will have the fresh water tank full but won't hook up to the water supply unless you ask. Make sure both the gas and electric works on the refrigertor and hot water heater. They don't have a ladder you can use (lol) so you can't inspect the roof. My wife says if you think something is wrong, you are probably right.

Buy a torque wrench at Harbor Fright ($11.00 on sale now) and check the lug nuts yourself. I lubed the axel bearings the other night and was kind of suprised at how much grease they took. By the way, the trailer book is on the Outback website. I read it before the walk through.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's a ton of help, thanks. I plan on taking some time to do this. I really like this forum but at times reading about all the issues is a little disconcerting for someone who is just getting ready to take delivery. I'm sure that other manufacturers have the same issues, I'd just like to hear about them once in a while.

Thanks again, I was curious about how they would handle the PDI, it's nice to have a heads up. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Glad to hear your enjoying the Outback, the anticipation is killing me.

dp

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twins Make 4,

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just made a hookups reaservation at Millerton Lake for Saturday night. I know it's not far but it beats sleeping in the trailer in the driveway!

The hard part about going up there is that my wife will remind me that I promised to sell the sail boat that's over in Winchell Cove. Anybody out there interested in a San Juan 21???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts