Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ready to upgrade to a larger tow vehicle with bigger engine and need to know, are 3.73 gears sufficient or would 4.10 gears better for pulling about 5500#? What kind of gas milage difference might there be between 3.73 and 4.10 gears when pulling and not pulling?
Help me please. Info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
KellerJames said:
Ready to upgrade to a larger tow vehicle with bigger engine and need to know, are 3.73 gears sufficient or would 4.10 gears better for pulling about 5500#? What kind of gas milage difference might there be between 3.73 and 4.10 gears when pulling and not pulling?
Help me please. Info is greatly appreciated.
What kind of vehicle are those gears going to be in? That is a pretty critical piece of information you know.

If the TV's engine is big enough 3.73's would pull that much weight fine. Of course, the opposite is also true; if the engine is on the small side then you'd most likely need the 4.10's. Where you tow could impact that as well; towing in the rockies will require more oomph then the plains of Kansas will.

Mileage depends a lot upon how you drive, but usually the difference when not towing is minimal. 1 MPG at best. When towing the 4.10 will usually get better mileage because it's making the engine perform in it's powerband a bit more.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I really debated about the 3.73 v 4.10 ratio too when I bought my Avalanche. After talking to the guys at the dealership (friends) and reading from a lot of posters on the Avalanche board I decided I wouldn't see that much of a difference in mileage and I'd rather have the extra tow capacity. I do enjoy the zip that the Av has with the 4.10 too. I don't regret the mileage difference and in the overall scheme of things its pretty minimal difference. I know I kill my mileage when I leave the little ricers at the stop lights, if I didn't do the I'd do much better. I only drive about 5 miles to work so for me its not a huge deal.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you're equipping a 4.6L V8 in a F150 then go with the 4.10 gears. If its a 4WD vehicle remember both front and rear axles will have to be changed.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers!

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
I have the 5.3 liter V8 in my 2001 Yukon XL. I do not have any experience towing with anything but the 4.10 gears. What I can say our 26 RS tows really nice behind the Yukon XL. Hardly struggles on hills.

Forecast is 82 degrees today in Denver. Hard to believe for late March. Won't be long and the threat of snow will be gone and I can see how she does going up I-70.

Randy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should be more specific. We're looking at '04 F250s with the 5.4L and tow package. The dealer seems to only have 3.73s on the lot. I'm hoping to find one with 4.10 after reading y'all's posts. I'm convinced that that would be best. Now if I can find one that meets that criteria. Thanks everyone.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Do you have many mountains/hills in your area? If you are towing on mostly flat lands and the 3.73 give you enough tow capacity you may well be just fine with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts