Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts

This campground took me by suprise, I never expected a place this nice to be where it is. It is one of the pricier places we have stayed ($60/night peak season with full hookups - 2 adults. Children ages 3-17 are $5 a night each additionally). I do not mind paying a little extra if the place is nice however and this particular campground is VERY nice. The bathrooms were large and spotless (I checked out the showers also, they are larger than most "closets" that are offered in other places). There are three large outdoor pools AND a heated indoor pool (which was great last weekend when we had a cold front blow through). They also have several jacuzzis and a sauna as well as an excersise room. Activities included crafts, horshoe pits (including a small tournament), fishing, ball fields and one of my favorites last weekend : frisbee golf (you have got to try this, it is a blast!). The website has some great pictures and information, here's a link.

Definately highly recommended !

·
Outbackers Contributor
71 Posts
I managed to get a reservation at Normandy Farms for Columbus Day weekend. This will likely be our last outing for the year, as we'll have to take the TT over to its storage place by the end of October
. I have heard mostly good things about Normandy Farms, but expect it's going to be really crowded on that weekend. This is leaf season in New England, after all. We were only able to get a site on one of the Safari fields. It has water and electric, but I was told to expect little privacy and no shade. My boys (15 and 12) are kind of excited anyway-looking forward to the indoor pool, arcade, lodge, etc... Hopefully the weather will still be nice and we we can actually spend some time outdoors too! I've got my fingers crossed!

Sally

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're booked in at Normandy for the weekend of the 23rd-24th, also staying in the safari area. That place is booked solid every weekend, so it is busy all the time. We're headed down to Seaport campground in Old Mystic, CT for Columbus Day weekend.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,472 Posts
Normandy Farms is a class act in every way. We try to get there a few times a year. Try one of their Halloween weekends we went through ten bags of candy in less than an hour. They are always booked but you can get lucky if you call the week before and get a canceled site. In April they take reservations for the next year so 2005 is likely to be booked already.We check in turn the corner pass the guard shack and drop the kids at the playground get set up in peace then pick them up.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Ymryl, we have stayed there a few times (Seaport that is). Nice quiet place, and close to the area attractions, but you probably know that already. Anyway, have a good time.

We tried to get into Normandy for Columbus Day, but no luck, or was there anything at Oak Haven outside of Sturbridge, so we are going to Cape May instead. There might not be any leaves to look at , but there is the ocean, and a lighthouse, and lots of old victorian style houses.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will be our first time at Seaport, we're headed down with a few other couples so it should be a good weekend. Looking forward to hitting Mystic aquarium again, we went last spring when we stayed at Strawberry Park and the kids really enjoyed it. They have trick or treating there this weekend and everything so the kids should have a great time at the campground also.

We're really looking forward to Normandy Farms the weekend of the 22nd, that place is huge, can't wait to see the trick or treaters (my 4 year old is going as bat man, my 2 year old is going as superman and my baby (4 months) is going as a bug (pretty neat costume, should keep him warm).

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Paul, it's definately not as big as Strawberry Park, or Normandy, and it doesn't have all the amenities, (no sewer hookups). My wife and I like it though 'cause it is quiet, and the sites are pretty big. Besides, with so much to do in the Mystic area, you don't need to spend alot of time at the camp.

I believe the Seaport still offers a weekend pass. If you go on Saturday, they give you a bracelet, or stamp or something, and that gets you in on Sunday also. Depending on how young the kids are, you could spend all day just there. If you go to the Seaport, and get a chance, see the planetarium show. It's all about celestial navigation and is pretty interesting.

Tim

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yrmyl,

I'm jealous. I'm trying ,very unsuccessfully, to get reservations at Normandy for the weekend of the 22nd. They told me to keep calling back in case someone cancels. When did you make your reservations?

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally forgot about this thread...

Heading down to Seaport this afternoon. Weather looks like it should be ok for this weekend, looking forward to hitting Mystic Aquarium and they are even having trick or treating for the kids tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what I think of the place when we get back Monday.

As far as Normandy Farms goes, we just got lucky. My wife called every day until they finally put her name on a list and called her when something opened up. Keep at it, it would be nice to see another Outback there that weekend

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well...it took a lot of phone calls, but I finally got a site for the weekend of 10/22 - 10/24. I hope this place is as good as everyone says!!!

·
Outbackers Contributor
71 Posts
We just got back from Normandy Farms after spending Columbus Day weekend there. Initially, we were assigned a spot in one of the Safari fields- but boy was that tight! Campers right on top of each other. As it turned out, our site was so small, they didn't think we could get our 21RS in there, but as luck would have it, they had just had a cancellation, so we were assigned a much nicer, larger site on the other end of the campground (not one of the safari fields). Anyway, I have to say that although the place was booked solid for the weekend, we enjoyed it. The common areas are maintained beautifully. The bathhouses are terrific, both the outside heated pool and the indoor one were open, and the rec building is wonderful. There's an adult loft as well as a spot just for teens (mine liked it), and an arcade to entertain them whatever the weather. Plus, there were lots of planned events for everybody, including a pancake breakfast, bingo, fun run, and dance on Sunday night. There's even WIFI! There are a lot of seasonals there, but they appear to be pretty strict about them, and it doesn't have that "trashy" look to it, if you know what I mean. There's an 18-"hole" frisbee golf course, which we played on Sunday afternoon. Basically, everybody had a great time. Although there were lots of campers there, the place didn't feel over-crowded and we never had to wait for the showers (we opted to use theirs, since they were so nice, and we didn't have full hookups).

I saw the brochure listing the events for the next two weekends. Sounds like you're in for a great time! Have fun!

Sally

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
djd,
Glad you were able to book in, we'll have to hook up and say hello (I'm sure my wife would love to talk to someone that has a 28 rss weeing as we are looking at possibly moving up to one). I'm sure you will enjoy it there, the place really is super nice. If you haven't been to the website yet, definately take a look.

Sally,
I forgot about that frisbee golf course, it is a lot of fun. Can't wait for the trick or treating, they had it at Seaport Campground last weekend and the kids had a blast (check out the pictures in the gallery on my website).

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,472 Posts
You can add another Outback to the Halloween weekend after many calls I landed a site with full hookups. The kids loved it last year and can't wait to go back. Time to stock up on the candy. Winterizing is just going to have to wait.

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still trying to get out of the Safari area... Called three times a day for the past three days, no luck yet. I'm really hoping to get into a site with sewer hookup so I can flush the tanks really well before leaving. Looks like we'll either be winterizing the 21 after that weekend or trading it in shortly for a 28 RSS. We'll definately have to all get together that weekend.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,472 Posts
Ymryl
Which Safari field did they put you in? We had a site in saf 2 and it was great close to the rec hall plenty of room and grassy. If it is Saf#1 or #4 try to move still plenty of time. Good luck

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right now we are in Safari 4, which is the one all the way at the end of the campground, by the horseshoe pits. I'll keep calling, hopefully something else will open up.

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally got moved, now in C-5. Still only water and electric but at least it is closer to the center of the campground. Looking forward to hooking up with you guys while we are there.

·
Outbackers Contributor
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just booked in for Easter weekend - April 1-3 2005. We'll be in B5.

Hope to see some other Outbackers there again this time !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts