Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 28BH-S. We are pulling it with a 2003 Ford Expedition, 4WD, with the 5.4 liter engine. It has the full towing package. So far I have only towed it from Sacramento (where I bought it) to Fresno (where I live). I was surprised at how much it caused my SUV to really get sluggish. It almost appeared as though the trailer was too much for the SUV. Before I bought the trailer my car dealer, the trailer dealer and several friends told me that I should not have any trouble towing it. Did I assume too much?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Randey, we are awaiting pick up of our 25RSS and drive a 99 Ford Expedition same engine size. We were told that 25 was max we would want to pull as out tow capacity is 8,000# and we would want to be well under the limit. I'm interested in how we'll do. I hope not a slug. We pickup on 3/27. I'll let you know how we do.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Randey,

What kind of hitch do you have, and is it set up properly. With that trailer, you should definately have a weight distributing hitch, with a quality sway control.

What is the rated towing capacity, as well as the payload capacity of the Ford. This issue has been discussed in a few other threads on the forum, check the "Towing issues and Vehicles" section for more info.

Good luck, and hope you find a solution to your issues.

Tim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have an EZ-Lift weight distribution system that seems to do a good job. It was set up by the dealer and a friend of mine looked at it who has had a trailer and one of these hitches for a nmber of years and he said that everything looked fine. The Ford 2004 Expedition 4WD with a 5.4 liter is suppose to pull 8,900 lbs and the 28BH-S is rated at 6,900 lbs. Should be enough but I was just surprised that it takes that much horsepower to pull it. My vehicle really sucks the gas though. Right now I am getting on flat ground - freeway about 8-9 miles/gallon.

·
Outbackers Contributor
157 Posts
Hi Randey and welcome!

We tow with a Ford Expedition as well, but our trailer is a 23 RS. I'don't know about the 2003 models but our "97 model would have been very heavily taxed to tow a 28RS (Hence we own the 23RS).

Here is something I noticed when we shopped locally for a TT. Dealers were never concerned about the GVWR or total weight of the TT/TV combo. They always talked in terms of rear end ratio. Well, thats a major boo boo. Yes, the gear ratio is critical to performance...but if you exceed the allowable weight limits, no matter what rear end you have, you have problems.

With both the Ford and my 98 Ram 1500 we are closing in on the weight limit when fully loaded but the Ford pulls great in town and sort of slow on the highway...just the opposite with the Ram. It sucks in town but has no problem keeping 60 - 70 in the highway....that is the difference in rear ends there. But BOTH are UNDER the weight limits put on by both the TT and TV manufactures

ALso, I agree with the comment on a Weight Distributing hitch. There is no substitute.

Steve

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
One way to check the set up of the hitch is to measure the gap between all four tires and the fenders on the TV before you hook up to the TT. After you get everything hooked up and ready to tow, measure again, at the same point on the fenders. All four distances should change about the same. This indicates that the weight distribution hitch is doing it's job, and shifting the proper amount of weight to the front axle of the TV.

You didn't mention sway control. Is it integrel with the EZ-Lift hitch? I am not familiar with that particular brand.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts